Join our zoo community
Kakapo

Coolie loach, Kuhli loach (Pangio kuhlii)

Another new species for the Gallery

Coolie loach, Kuhli loach (Pangio kuhlii)
Kakapo, 1 Jun 2023
    • Chlidonias
      P. kuhlii probably doesn't occur in the aquarium trade because, as currently recognised, it is endemic to Java. The species traded as "P. kuhlii" is typically P. semicincta of Peninsular Malaysia and Borneo, which is pretty variable in pattern and likely to be a species-complex itself.

There is another photo in the galleries but you would have missed it due to the misspelling of the name: Khuli Loaches - ZooChat
    • Kakapo
      I'm intrigued, being endemic to Java is an impediment for a fish species for being in aquarium trade? There is a total ban of export wildlife from Java but not from neighbours Sumatra and Borneo?

I've heard rumours about the "kuhlii of aquarium trade being semicincta" years ago, but as I'm not enough knowlegdeable about these fishes and the species definitions and limits, I will keep a conservative view of considering all similar morphotypes as P. kuhlii until I get a good argument demonstrating in a very clear way that Pangio semicincta is not Pangio kuhlii.

Thanks for letting me know about the previous photo. I indeed can't find photos of species when misspelled. I would have used the Great Argus's photo if I knew previously in my "list of species seen" thread, but now it's too late to edit. But please could you edit my thread "adding new species to the Gallery" deleting the shot and entry for this species? Adding New Species to the Gallery! Thanks!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pets & Private Collections
    Uploaded By:
    Kakapo
    Date:
    1 Jun 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    130.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    850px
    Height:
    500px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).