Join our zoo community
Toddy

Copenhagen Zoo - Elephant House

The outdoor enclosure for female elephants in Copenhagen Zoo seen from the lookout terrasse of the house June 2008

Copenhagen Zoo - Elephant House
Toddy, 8 Nov 2008
David Matos Mendes likes this.
    • Toddy
      The outdoor enclosure for female elephants in Copenhagen Zoo seen from the lookout terrasse of the house
      June 2008
    • snowleopard
      That looks like a great pool in the distance! All of those huge posts are ugly, but there's not much else that can be done to contain elephants.
    • reduakari
      I'm not sure why so many people are so positively impressed by this exhibit. There is no shade, no living vegetation, only one type of substrate (sand), no simulation of wild elephant habitat, and it is by some critics' standards very small (about an acre). The interior is sterile, and as others have pointed out the bull yards and pens are significantly smaller than ideal.

The building's transparent roof and sand floors are nice, but nothing about the overall project has really moved elephant husbandry or exhibition forward.
    • mstickmanp
      Actually, compared to the old crappy exhibits they used to live in, this is a paradise for the elephants. But I do agree that the exhibit is still too small.

I found this model of the exhibit on flickr: Elephant house on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo København
    Uploaded By:
    Toddy
    Date:
    8 Nov 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    544.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1500px
    Height:
    1125px
    Aperture:
    f/9.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-510
    Date / Time:
    2008:06:10 14:58:41
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    14 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).