Join our zoo community
Pertinax

Cornish Chough

Cornish Chough
Pertinax, 19 Oct 2018
    • Pertinax
      This Chough was alone and feeding busily in a field by the coastal path. I only have a pocket camera, not a long lense(!)) but I think it was very hungry as it was the day after Storm Callum and was not bothered by my close approach as it stabbed the earth probing for insect larvae etc. Amazingly this bird was at the exact same place where the very last bird of the previous/original population of Cornish Chough used to live until 1973, - Beacon Cove, St Mawgan in Pydar, north of Newquay. Strange coincidence.
    • Pertinax
      Seen wild Choughs many times before, including on the Lizard, but not one so close and fearless.
    • gentle lemur
      I wondered if it was a released bird as it was so tame: but as it's not ringed, it can't be.
    • Terry Thomas
      Nice photo. I have seen Choughs in Pembrokeshire, Wales, but only from a distance. Well done.
    • Pertinax
      @Terry Thomas I've seen them in Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Italy and France. Never been so close to one though as this one. In Wales In Pembrokeshire I once sat near a late-summer flock of 24 birds while they preened and rested on the clifftop. Marvellous. They are often quite confiding but this one allowed me very close indeed.
    • Pertinax
      @gentle lemur I wondered that too but the no rings seems proof it wasn't. I think it was just very focused on feeding up after the storm which would have prevented them flying out to feed. See how earthy its bill is. I had another pair as fly-overs at St Agnes Head also.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United Kingdom - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Pertinax
    Date:
    19 Oct 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2592px
    Height:
    1944px
    Aperture:
    f/6.5
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    DSC-W810
    Date / Time:
    2018:10:15 14:59:27
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 320
    Focal Length:
    27.6 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).