Join our zoo community
ungulate nerd

Corsican red deer (Cervus elaphus corsicanus)

A good friend of mine took this photograph more then 20 years ago and gave me permission to post it

Corsican red deer (Cervus elaphus corsicanus)
ungulate nerd, 7 Nov 2013
    • ungulate nerd
      A good friend of mine took this photograph more then 20 years ago and gave me permission to post it
    • Kifaru Bwana
      I wish they could go back to those days and maintain an ex situ breeding program for the Corsican / Sardo red deer and highlight the issues at the national level for them!!!

They already have Abruzzo wolves now (thank goodness). Have they follow with Abruzzo chamois (these are actually evolutionary related to Pyrenean chamois Rupricapra pyrenaica (ornata) and not Alpine chamois Rupicapra rupricapra).
    • colobus
      Sorry, but not Corsican red deer were kept in Rome after WWII
    • Kifaru Bwana
      I meant that it would be important to showcase Corsican red deer in Bioparco (and other zoos) as part of a ex situ conservation initiative NOW. :)
    • colobus
      Dear Kifaru,
      I was refering to the photo, that it is not a Corsican red deer.
      Zoochatters may be interested to known that corsicanus has been considered a species by recent revision of Groves and Grubb (2011). It is however very clear that the species is not native of Corsica and Sardinia, but was introduced by humans. It is not clear from where it came; one possibility is peninsular Italy where only one native population exist in the Mesola Wood (near Ferrara) with similar morphological characters.
    • lintworm
      Corsican red deer have shown to be introduced by humans, probably from Africa, so not from Italy. So this is a Barbary red deer.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Bioparco di Roma
    Uploaded By:
    ungulate nerd
    Date:
    7 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    243.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1112px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).