Cougar/Puma/Panther/Mountain Lion Exhibit

Dec 2008. Can you see the two cats?

Cougar/Puma/Panther/Mountain Lion Exhibit
snowleopard, 19 Dec 2008
Mai Thai likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Dec 2008. Can you see the two cats?
    • snowleopard
      Basic fencing but nevertheless a superb, naturalistic environment for the two cats. I would have loved to have seen them go up and down the tree!
    • Ciololo
      that tree with all branches looks like specially made for them, lucky cats...
    • snowleopard
      Too many zoos seem to forget that pumas are amazing climbers, and this photo shows how the cats can easily scale large trees. I'd like to see them come back down!:)
    • Ituri
      They don't necessarily forget that they are amazing climbers. In fact I would say they recognize that they are amazing climbers and are usually in heavily built enclosures that take no chances with the cats escaping given their incredible athletic ability.
    • snowleopard
      @Ituri: you bring up some good points, which makes it a shame that pumas are often enclosed in tiny, meshed exhibits when they should really be given spacious enclosures with large trees in the middle so that they couldn't get leverage to leap to freedom.
    • Arizona Docent
      Well, this leads to a new discussion topic. How many open-topped puma enclosures can we think of? I mean those that do not have fencing all the way across the ceiling. I thought (according to Big Cat Rescue) that it was now illegal in Florida due to exotic cat escapes, but you obviously do it at White Oak.

Anyway, here are the few open-topped (in U.S.) I know of:

Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
      The Living Desert
      Out Of Africa
      Keepers of the Wild

(In other words, 3 out of 4 right here in Arizona - good for us!)
      Cat-Man likes this.
    • JaxElephant
      The Jacksonville Zoo's Florida Panther exhibit is open top. ;)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    White Oak Conservation Center
    Uploaded By:
    snowleopard
    Date:
    19 Dec 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    505.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/3.3
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ5
    Date / Time:
    2008:12:05 09:31:58
    Exposure Time:
    10/1250 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    4.7 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).