Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

coyotes at Arizona Sonora Desert Museum

coyotes at Arizona Sonora Desert Museum
Arizona Docent, 11 Feb 2009
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • snowleopard
      Great photo of the coyotes! This is probably one of the world's all-time great zoo exhibits, as it is spacious, naturalistic and while there it is almost impossible to truly gain an understanding of the exact diameters of the exhibit.
    • Ituri
      I wonder what the wild coyotes and javelinas think of their invisibly caged conspecifics? Truly an outstanding pair of exhibits, I'm looking forward to the mule deer exhibit.
    • mstickmanp
      Great photo!
    • Arizona Docent
      Ituri, don't hold your breath for the mule deer exhibit. They no longer list it and I doubt it will ever come. They have also ruined the formerly outstanding javelina exhibit. They cut the size in half and replaced the invisinet with an obnoxious chain link fence. The newest exhibit, Life On The Rocks, took almost a decade to complete and it is only so so. After being at the forefront of zoo design for so long, it seems the Desert Museum has lost its spark. Small Cat Canyon, which used to be my favorite with 4 cat species, only has 2 cat species now. Also, the black bears have been retired and their exhibit is going to remain empty indefinitely.
    • Ituri
      Wow, that's awful to hear. I knew the bears were in retirement, but the rest of that is all news to me. I only got down to Tucson once a year or so when I lived in Phoenix, and I haven't been since I moved to Idaho.

Why did they ruin the javelina exhibit? So which two cats are left, ocelot and bobcat? What else is in those exhibits? I can't believe there aren't any plans to renovate the bear grotto. What happened to the idea of bringing back jaguars?
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes, ocelot and bobcat - good guess. The jaguarundi enclosure has had a gray fox for several years and the margay (which recently passed away) has been replaced with a racoon. As for jaguar, that's a good question. The last issue of their annual magazine was devoted exclusively to borderland jaguars. They did state BRIEFLY at the front of the magazine that they do plan to exhibit jaguars again. A docent there I know told me the tentative plan is to build a new mountain lion exhibit and put a jaguar where the mountain lions are now. But considering how long it took them to build "Life On The Rocks," I don't expect to see it within the next decade. However, the Feline Conservation Center (Rosamond, California) said in their latest newsletter they sent a jaguar cub to Arizona, but didn't say where. Since Phoenix Zoo just took in a different jaguar from Mexico, I don't think it went there. Could it be...?
    • Ituri
      It wasn't Phoenix, they are full up on jaguars, the female from Palm Beach and the male from Mexico. Could be Wildlife World or Heritage Park up in Prescott, but it would be awesome if it was ASDM
    • Arizona Docent
      I just received an email from Feline Conservation Center confirming the jaguar went to Wildlife World Zoo (NOT ASDM).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    11 Feb 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    58.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    432px
    Height:
    288px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).