Join our zoo community
Nick@Amsterdam

Crab-eating Raccoon (Procyon cancrivorus)???

I can't remember exactly what animal I photographed here. I think this is a Crab-eating Raccoon (Procyon cancrivorus) but as these were housed next to the civets, it may also be some species of civet (I think they kept the African). Needless to say, conditions were horrible for these poor souls. Concrete cages with bars to match, no enrichment whatsoever. Diet seems okay though, as I remember the animals were fed a very varied diet of fruit, vegetables, meat (mice and chicks) and nuts. I know this as I'd visited this zoo quite often back at the time, and saw the variation in food. This is an old photo from my visit to this zoo in 2005. As I didn't have a good camera or the 'right' experience in photography back then, the quality may be somewhat less than that of other more recent pictures I've taken… ;)

Crab-eating Raccoon (Procyon cancrivorus)???
Nick@Amsterdam, 13 Sep 2011
    • Nick@Amsterdam
      I can\'t remember exactly what animal I photographed here. I think this is a Crab-eating Raccoon (Procyon cancrivorus) but as these were housed next to the civets, it may also be some species of civet (I think they kept the African). Needless to say, conditions were horrible for these poor souls. Concrete cages with bars to match, no enrichment whatsoever. Diet seems okay though, as I remember the animals were fed a very varied diet of fruit, vegetables, meat (mice and chicks) and nuts. I know this as I\'d visited this zoo quite often back at the time, and saw the variation in food. This is an old photo from my visit to this zoo in 2005. As I didn\'t have a good camera or the \'right\' experience in photography back then, the quality may be somewhat less than that of other more recent pictures I\'ve taken… ;)
    • mrcriss
      Looks more like a raccoon dog (or tanuki) to me. :)
    • Zoological Point
      Yes, this is a Raccoon Dog, not a Crab-Eating Raccoon.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Havana Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Nick@Amsterdam
    Date:
    13 Sep 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    497.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    960px
    Height:
    1280px
    Aperture:
    f/2.6
    Make:
    MEDION OPTICAL CO,LTD
    Model:
    MD511Z3
    Date / Time:
    2050:01:05 13:23:45
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    20.49 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).