Join our zoo community
Maguari

Crowned Guenon at Twycross 03/05/10

[i]Cercopithecus pogonias[/i] A couple of annoying reflections I couldn't exclude due to being surrounded by bank holiday visitors, but I rather like this shot.

Crowned Guenon at Twycross 03/05/10
Maguari, 3 May 2010
    • Maguari
      Cercopithecus pogonias

A couple of annoying reflections I couldn\'t exclude due to being surrounded by bank holiday visitors, but I rather like this shot.
    • Pertinax
      She's sharing this enclosure with a Spotnosed or a Lowe's guenon, right?
    • Maguari
      A Lesser Spot-nosed, yes. Meaning that one of the few Twycross guenon groups of more than two animals has been split up!

(of course I don't know the background - there may be a good reason for splitting them)
    • tomzoo123
      The lessers are the ones near the gibbons right, in the quarantine part? There were 3 or 4 of them in there so one has been put in with this one? hmmmm. Unless the lesser was ousted from the group maybe?
    • Maguari
      Yes, those are the ones. I think there were three until recently when this one has moved. It could be this animal was rejected by the group, but I'd not seen any indications of problems previously.
    • Pertinax
      The quarantine enclosure this Guenon used to share with the Hamlyn's monkeys(alternately) now has 3 or 4 Francois Langurs in it. There are 2 males in the Monkey House this photo was taken in too. I was told they now have 6 (2.4 or 3.3. can't remember which) of these. And a similar number of Dusky Leaf(Spectacled) Langur including one new female.
    • Javan Rhino
      Am I right in thinking that this is the species where it is the last/only individual in captivity? I think it is, just want to make sure :)
    • Maguari
      Yup, that's the one. Zootierliste lists this animal as type subspecies; a zoo in Turkey is listed as keeping the grayi form. I'm not aware of any further individuals of either form in captivity.

It's just the latest in a long line of 'end of the line' primate rarities at Twycross - since I've been visiting Bolivian Red Howler, Red Uakari, Kloss's Gibbon and Phayre's Langur have all died out at the zoo.
    • Chlidonias
      I was going to comment on this photo when you first uploaded it but I forgot. So: that's a stunning monkey. Is the purple from the reflection or is it actually part of the pelage colour?
    • Maguari
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    3 May 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: