Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Crowned Solitary Eagle - PZAC, João Pessoa (Bica zoo)

Sorry for the poor quality. As the zoo was closed, all I had left was trying to have any glance of an exhibit or animal, and that's all I could spot besides the main plaza and some signs.

Crowned Solitary Eagle - PZAC, João Pessoa (Bica zoo)
David Matos Mendes, 20 Mar 2021
    • David Matos Mendes
      Sorry for the poor quality. As the zoo was closed, all I had left was trying to have any glance of an exhibit or animal, and that's all I could spot besides the main plaza and some signs.
    • Callado
      Hey! That's a Black-chested Buzzard Eagle
      That's my city zoo, I plan on updating a few pics as soon as I can post anything
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Callado
      Thanks for the correction. I would really like to know more about the Bica zoo (Zoo Arruda Câmara). I went to João Pessoa on march 2021, and was unable to visit Bica park due to Covid-19 restrictions, and therefore only took these very few pictures from the outside/entrance of the place.
      Callado likes this.
    • Callado
      @David Matos Mendes As soon as I am allowed to post media I will post everything I have from Bica!
      They have some cool species indeed
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Callado
      Great to know. How would you rate Bica zoo in comparison to most institutions in the Northeast? I've heard some people consider it the very best zoo in this part of the country.
    • Callado
      @David Matos Mendes
      In all of the northeast, I've only been to Bica, dozens of times, and Recife once and Aquario de Natal once.

I'm a bit surprised to know Bica is considered the best of the region, but the recent renovations really transformed the park. Very recently (almost a year ago) the big cats got their new enclosures and that's what made the big difference. They used to have very poor and ugly cages before.

I think Recife has a better collection, but Recife looks extremely outdated in the structure.

And Natal is a whole other thing. The zoo is private and it has a very different feel to it. It was just an aquarium that grew into a zoo. Quite a few of their enclosures looks quite small, but the zoo at least looks to be taken care. A few monkey enclosures looks very good. But larger mammals, like the Hippo and the Waterbuck don't have much space as they should have.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Callado
      That is very interesting to know about your visits. I have never visited these three northeastern institutions you mentioned. In this region, I have been to only two zoos: Aracaju and Salvador, as unfortunately, as I told you, my visit to Bica was basically a fast glimpse through the entrance and fences.

Still about Arruda Câmara park, I've heard from some very interesting zoo professionals that it is considered by them as the best zoological institution in the Northeast of our country. I have to say the pictures I saw of the new big cat enclosures are indeed impressive considering the reality of other zoos in mentioned region. I particularly like the training sessions they seem to put into practice with the cats, specially the lioness. The short and small view I had of the entrance and it's small plaza was very pleasant too.

Even though not having been to Recife zoo yet, I have to say that, from what I've heard and seen in pictures, I totally agree with your opinions about it. Would like to see it personally and specially after the renovations.

Now, about Natal aquarium, the concept seems pretty similar to the one at SP aquarium (of course, disconsidering the proportions). I would like to visit it next time I'm in Natal though.
      Callado likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Parque Zoobotânico Arruda Câmara
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    20 Mar 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4000px
    Height:
    3000px
    Aperture:
    f/5.7
    Make:
    NIKON
    Model:
    COOLPIX P500
    Date / Time:
    2021:03:17 12:18:32
    Exposure Time:
    10/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 180
    Focal Length:
    144 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).