Join our zoo community
Goura

Curassow

The management said at the time they were unable to identify this immature curassow - perhaps Zoochat members could help?

Curassow
Goura, 11 Apr 2012
    • Goura
      The management said at the time they were unable to identify this immature curassow - perhaps Zoochat members could help?
    • lintworm
      in 2008 it was labelled as a Crax alberti
    • Chlidonias
      but if it was there in 2008 it wouldn't still be an immature when this photo was taken in 2010....?
    • Goura
      Thanks but this photo was taken in 2010. I've been looking for photos of Crax alberti but can only find adults and very young chicks.
    • lintworm
      The bird I saw in 2008 was also immature, but I would indeed be logical that this would be another bird... Zootierliste lists Haus des Meeres as having kept Crax alberti till 2011....
    • Goura
      Well that's the best evidence i've heard - thanks!
    • Goura
      That was the logic i was following but the subsequent answer seems to clear things up a bit. Would still like a photo of an immature one. I actually own a copy of Delacour's 'Curassows & Related Birds' but it's hidden away somewhere and i can't find it. I seem to recall it included illustrations of chicks and immature birds.
    • Tomek
      Venezuelan blue-throated piping-guan
      (Pipile cumanensis cumanensis)
    • condor
      This is not a pure piping-guan, which as immatures have bare face and crown color similar to adults. However, since it has a white wing patch there is some piping-guan blood in it. Intergeneric hybrids are well known in the Cracidae family and this is a hybrid, probably Pipile X Crax. Incidentally the head shape and crown feathering of this bird is quite similar to some other Cracidae hybrids I have seen photos of. The pure black plumage (without any brown) also suggests this is an adult rather than an immature.
    • Goura
      They had a pair of mature Piping Guans in the collection so this could explain it although i sent them a photo and asked for identification and they said it was an immature bird and they didn't know what species it was. I suppose they might have obtained it from a dealer.

Thanks for the id.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Aqua Terra Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Goura
    Date:
    11 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    424.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    E-410
    Date / Time:
    2010:07:19 12:57:26
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 400
    Focal Length:
    70 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).