Join our zoo community
Newzooboy

Deer in Eurasia - Dec 2012

Any ideas? This was taken over the barrier from near the Australasia Pavilion, while Eurasia was closed for construction of the Giant Panda complex. Couldn't quite place this species, could be a reindeer I guess, but something not quite right.

Deer in Eurasia - Dec 2012
Newzooboy, 22 Mar 2018
    • Newzooboy
      Any ideas?

This was taken over the barrier from near the Australasia Pavilion, while Eurasia was closed for construction of the Giant Panda complex.

Couldn't quite place this species, could be a reindeer I guess, but something not quite right.
    • Chlidonias
      It's a Reindeer (or a Caribou I guess, seeing it's Canada).
    • Newzooboy
      Suspicion confirmed then.....

Many thanks

D
    • ZooFuss
      The Toronto Zoo website records them as European Reindeer. They are in the Tundra Trek section currently.
    • TZFan
      That is one of the European Reindeer. They separated some of them and put some in Tundra Trek and some in this exhibit. The herd was merely being managed to extinction. A few years ago something wiped out most of the herd... a parasite if I remember right and now there only a single female. The Tundra Trek exhibit will need to be fully excavated to bedrock I believe and the soil totally replaced before a new herd will be acquired... I believe the current plan is to go for caribou and muskox which will be good change to showcase the endangered woodland caribou and the iconic muskox. This exhibit is now the home to Barbary sheep and female mouflon who will also be managed to extinction.
    • Newzooboy
      Thanks TZ

I only saw the original 'Eurasia' area (pre-Eurasia Wilds development) once, on my first visit to Toronto (2000). Sadly a camera malfunction means I don't have any pictures. On my second visit (2012), the area was closed for the panda development, and then on my third (2016), it was Eurasia Wilds. Was the original Eurasia much different? I remember dhole (in the original panda enclosure?) and some hoofstock that's not there now?
    • TZFan
      From 2012 to 2016 you would be better to ask someone else. I had about a 14 year gap in visits that just picked up in 2012. I cant say for certain what was there just prior to it closing.

2000 I could probably answer a little better but others may correct me. Based on memory alone Eurasia had...

Amur tigers in the former panda exhibit
      I dont remember what was in the current Barbary sheep exhibit
      Red pandas never moved
      Dromedary camels were always in the exhibit exiting the drive through
      European reindeer in the last drive through exhibit
      Scimitar Horned Oryx in the middle one
      Przewalskis horses in the first one and their current other two yards too
      Dhole in the well dhole exhibit
      Snow leopards were nearby (exhibit demoed)
      Barbary Apes and Japanese Macaques in the now lion tailed macaque and barbary ape exhibits with I believe rotation.
      Wisent exhibit nearby but I dont know when they died out
      Tur have stayed
      Barbary Sheep and mouflon in the current snow leopard space
      Chamois never moved
      Bactrian Camels never moved

I might be missing something or wrong a little but someone else might be able to correct. If I'd have visited during those 14 years I might have a better recollection.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Newzooboy
    Date:
    22 Mar 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    8.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T3i
    Date / Time:
    2012:09:03 21:10:36
    Exposure Time:
    1/500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).