Join our zoo community
Maguari

Delacour's Langur and Young at EPRC Cuc Phuong, 10/03/12

[i]Trachypithecus delacouri[/i] Critically endangered Vietnamese endemic that I was to have the privilege of seeing in the wild later in the trip. The total population is no more than 200-250 individuals and falling. The Centre's resident animals are rescues that are unable to be released; as many as possible are released into semi-wild enclosures and ultimately to the wild in the national park. Youngsters born to the residents are released where possible, so it is very possible the young animal here will be in the wild before too long.

Delacour's Langur and Young at EPRC Cuc Phuong, 10/03/12
Maguari, 23 Apr 2012
Jonas likes this.
    • Maguari
      Trachypithecus delacouri

Critically endangered Vietnamese endemic that I was to have the privilege of seeing in the wild later in the trip. The total population is no more than 200-250 individuals and falling.

The Centre\'s resident animals are rescues that are unable to be released; as many as possible are released into semi-wild enclosures and ultimately to the wild in the national park. Youngsters born to the residents are released where possible, so it is very possible the young animal here will be in the wild before too long.
    • devilfish
      Thanks for uploading these brilliant photos of amazing animals. Nice to see that the Delacour's langurs are able to breed regularly in captivity (as I presume is the case here?)

Can't wait to see what you'll post next to try and make us even more jealous...

:p
    • Maguari
      You're welcome!

I'm not sure how frequently they breed but they weren't making too big a fuss out of it so I don't think it can be the first.

This place is superb - the only thing I'd say against them is that the tour (the only way to see the place) is perhaps a little brisk - with a bit more time could have got some nicer shots! But I fully understand why - they clearly like to minimise exposure to the general public and that's quite fair enough.

To be honest the very most juicy species are probably in this batch of photos but there's plenty of other good stuff to come! :D
    • devilfish
      I remember reading on their website a few months(?) ago that they've bred them a few times before. Their site was good but doesn't seem to be working anymore. I think their first birth was several years ago, and I vaguely remember reading of a 2nd generation captive birth too. I was under the impression that they were only very occasional events, so it's pleasing to see that they do breed fairly regularly.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Endangered Primate Rescue Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    23 Apr 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    183.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1071px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D80
    Date / Time:
    2012:03:10 03:24:42
    Exposure Time:
    10/1600 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).