Join our zoo community
bongorob

Dog pens Chester Zoo 29th August 1982

Dog pens Chester Zoo 29th August 1982
bongorob, 5 Jun 2023
    • bongorob
      These small enclosures were constructed in 1965 and housed many species of dogs over the years. In 1983 the site was modified and the runs became two seperate enclosures. Furthur modifications were carried out in the 1990s when it became one enclosure for Maned Wolves. In 2007 the butterfly greenhouse was built on the site.

Animals I can remember seeing here are
      Husky Dogs, Black-backed Jackal, Striped Hyena, Spotted Hyena, Dingo, Vietnamese Pot-bellied Pig, Collared Peccaries and Bagot Goat.

The wall at the bottom of the picture was the wall to a small pit built for wolverines. It also help New Guinea twin-wattled cassowaries and lion cubs. Joining onto this pit was the bear enclosure for Brown, Kamchatka and Syrian Bears. It was possible to walk all around the bear enclosure on a raised walkway, from where this picture was taken. It is now the aviary for European birds.

Bagot Goats and dingos can be seen in the photo.
    • gentle lemur
      This photo jogged my memory, as I photographed the hyaenas and the jackals in these pens and I remembered that I scanned a photo of the jackals, which I have just posted in the Gallery.
      The other thing I remember is the smell of the maned wolves, which replaced the goats in the large pen at the end of the row.
    • bongorob
      The maned wolves were given the entire area. I even saw them sometimes.

I photographed black-backed jackals, striped hyena, pot-bellied pigs and Bagot goats in that range.
    • James Barber
      I have been wondering for a long time on what this enclosure looked like as I have never come across a photo of it and I never remember seeing it on my first Chester Zoo visit in approx 2000.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    bongorob
    Date:
    5 Jun 2023
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    562.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2520px
    Height:
    1680px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).