Join our zoo community
ralph

Dolichotis salinicola, lesser mara

Dolichotis salinicola Lesser mara or Chacoan mara De Paay is the ONLY zoo in Europe with this species. They keep 1.1 and are hoping they will reproduce. Kept in an aviary with red-eared macaws.

Dolichotis salinicola, lesser mara
ralph, 28 Apr 2011
    • ralph
      Dolichotis salinicola
      Lesser mara or Chacoan mara

De Paay is the ONLY zoo in Europe with this species.
      They keep 1.1 and are hoping they will reproduce.

Kept in an aviary with red-eared macaws.
    • Maguari
      Wow, not sure I've ever seen a picture of D. salinicola before - wasn't expecting them to look so different.

Certainly some interesting things at De Paay!

Have to say though, that 1.1 is not exactly the best base for a new zoo population. Do you know where they came from? I wonder if it would be possible to bring in more animals.
    • lintworm
      My guess is that they came from the same animal trader as the greater grisons came. But I wouldn't be surprised when this species is kept by some private breeders.
    • Maguari
      Yes, I suspect you may be right on both points.
    • Maguari
      Visited De Paay as part of a busy zoo tour last week (photos will follow) - unfortunately the Chacoan/Lesser Maras there have both died earlier this year (cause of death unknown as per a keeper). We did, however, see a single individual at Best Zoo later in the same day - very attractive little species.
    • ralph
      Crazy to think that this species first showed up in an European zoo in 2011. They're everywhere these days!!
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Uilen- en Dierenpark "de Paay"
    Uploaded By:
    ralph
    Date:
    28 Apr 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    72 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    480px
    Height:
    360px
    Aperture:
    f/5.0
    Make:
    KONICA MINOLTA
    Model:
    DiMAGE Z3
    Date / Time:
    2004:01:01 00:00:01
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    51.903472900391 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).