Join our zoo community
KevinB

Domestic canary indoor aviary, 2020-09-03

Found in the smaller Chinese building next to the large Chinese temple. Viewed through an open door. The story of how Pairi Daiza got to have a big bunch of canaries can be found here: https://www.brusselstimes.com/news/belgium-all-news/53795/2-000-canaries-free-to-go-to-pairi-daiza/

Domestic canary indoor aviary, 2020-09-03
KevinB, 26 Sep 2020
    • Pertinax
      I saw these in a round aviary near the old Pheasant(?) aviaries. Is this the same place? Something about them all having been confiscated?
    • KevinB
      @Pertinax I'm not sure which area you actually mean by "old pheasant aviaries", could you clarify perhaps?

This was definitely not a round aviary though, so either the birds were moved or they have canaries in different areas (which given the size of the group is certainly possible).

This aviary is found immediately to the right of the large Chinese temple (Upper level of The Middle Kingdom, next to the Chinese courtyard).

The canaries were not really confiscated as such. The basic story (detailed in an article I linked above and below) is that they were a shipment refused and sent back to Belgium by Israeli authorities. To save the birds from euthanasia Pairi Daiza offered to help out with the quarantine for the birds, and at least some of them ended up staying and being put on display.

2,000 canaries free to go to Pairi Daiza
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Pairi Daiza
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    26 Sep 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    1.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1800px
    Height:
    863px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).