Join our zoo community
SMR

Door Entry System - Madagascar Exhibit - 26/03/2019

Quality workmanship and materials here.

Door Entry System - Madagascar Exhibit - 26/03/2019
SMR, 27 Mar 2019
Jambo and Arizona Docent like this.
    • Arizona Docent
      This is brilliant! I have never seen that before; I wonder if any other zoos use this?

I have seen the typical double door system in zoo aviaries, where the sign tells visitors to wait until inside door is closed before opening, but of course most people ignore it.
    • SMR
      @Arizona Docent I've seen it a few times - I seem to recall ZSL Whipsnade has electromagnetic door locks in their lemur walk-through to prevent both sides being open at the same time.
    • Chlidonias
      Is this a rare feature then? I've seen it regularly in zoos and fenced sanctuaries ("mainland islands") in New Zealand - I assumed it was pretty standard.
    • taun
    • Arizona Docent
      Well then it looks like this is one area where American zoos are lagging. I mean maybe some zoos here do it, but I don't recall seeing it myself (and I have been to around one hundred American zoos).
      Hipporex likes this.
    • taun
      @Arizona Docent should add its pretty standard for the air lock system to be broke as well...
    • Andrew Swales
      @Arizona Docent

This was exactly the system we had planned for our first walk-through aviary opened last year, as we have successfully used magnetic locks elsewhere. The advice was that as it had no panic button to allow free exit (which of course who have rendered the principle useless) it would have health and safety issues, and therefore would/could fail a UK Zoo Licence inspection. As it was also extremely expensive we could not risk the investment, and opted for a manual system with darkened porches - which is working well, so far. Maybe Chester intend to man it permanently to overcome this issue..?
    • SMR
      @Andrew Swales There was someone in each airlock (entry and exit) at all times on Tuesday. The zoo has a lot of volunteers who are likely to be given the task.
    • Chlidonias
      Kind of seems pointless having the electronic lock, then, if they need to have someone at each door all the time...
    • Andrew Swales
      @Chlidonias

Indeed - maybe the architect should have had another meeting with the people at the sharp end...?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chester Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    SMR
    Date:
    27 Mar 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2160px
    Height:
    3238px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    SONY
    Model:
    ILCE-7RM3
    Date / Time:
    2019:03:26 10:08:14
    Exposure Time:
    1/60 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    29 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).