Join our zoo community
BillyT

DSCF2010

DSCF2010
BillyT, 11 Jan 2011
    • BillyT
      girty and hutang the malayan tapirs
    • Shirokuma
      So the tapirs are outside again? Is the house open?
    • BillyT
      The tapirs door to the outside are always open but they just tend to stay inside most of the time.
      no the house wont be open anytime soon
    • Shirokuma
      It's a shame, they are such lovely animals. I always try to peer through the glass to catch a glimpse.
    • BillyT
      best chance to see them is to get to the zoo as it opens and head straight for them, the keepers load out the paddock with there morning feed so they go outside and they can clean inside.
    • Shirokuma
      Thanks I will remember that!
    • Pertinax
      Its a pity something can't be done to improve their visibility as they're an undervalued exhibit at ZSL really. I believe there are veterinary issues which is why the indoor enclosure is so rarely/never open to the public?

Would that issue also prevent a possible move to another part of the zoo.e.g. the old elephant building if they had indoor public viewing?
    • johnstoni
      I had to assume that either the virus that may or may not have affected London's tapirs (as mentioned elsewhere on here) was contained in just one of the adults, or was treated successfully in all three tapirs, resulting in the fully grown male calf being transferred to Port Lympne to become their breeding male.
    • Zambar
      According to concept art, this is what's gonna happen in the new tiger development.
    • Pertinax
      Good to hear. Hopefully they'll be able to make more of them as an exhibit in that case.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BillyT
    Date:
    11 Jan 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: