Duck ID

Duck ID
epickoala123, 26 Aug 2013
    • FBBird
      Off-coloured Mallard
    • Pertinax
      Green head and white bib = Cayuga-type.
    • FBBird
      I think the idea of a 'Cayuga type' with a white bib comes from Peter Scott's 'Coloured Key to the Wildfowl of the World', which mentions it.
      A Cayuga is a big solid black [Mallard-descended] domestic duck. Think Aylesbury & colour it glossy greeny-black all over. It does not have a white bib.
      If this bird was a Call Duck it would be described as Black Bibbed. However, its general shape is of a wild Mallard [and this colour pattern is common among free flying populations], so it's a Coloured Mallard. Sorry to go on.
    • Pertinax
      Yes, I learnt that definition so long ago from that Key that it stuck. But in wild/semi wild Mallard populations it does seem the black/green birds usually have white bibs too. I guess he overlooked the fact the true domestic breed Cayugas, as you describe, don't actually have these, being dark all over, and that it was the nearest description he could think of.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Hazlehead Pets Corner
    Uploaded By:
    epickoala123
    Date:
    26 Aug 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    353.1 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/4.9
    Make:
    OLYMPUS IMAGING CORP.
    Model:
    SP810UZ,SP815UZ
    Date / Time:
    2013:08:08 14:13:12
    Exposure Time:
    1/80 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 64
    Focal Length:
    34 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).