Join our zoo community
Daniel Sörensen

Duckling (Possible Long-tailed duck hybrid?)

Duckling (Possible Long-tailed duck hybrid?)
    • gentle lemur
      I don't think this is a long-tailed duckling, perhaps it's a pintail.
    • Daniel Sörensen
      @gentle lemur I just googled for pictures of Long tailed ducklings and i guess you are correct? The female long-tailed duck is the mother tho. She hatched them.

Old picture of the mother: Long-tailed duck, female. (Clangula hyemalis)

In the same aviary there was a king eider male that was following the female and showing interests earlier this year. Maybe hybrids? Or if the bird park put other eggs under her.
    • Andrew Swales
      This does not look like a Long-tail duckling to me, and even less like an Eider. I remember Pintails as having pale faces and above-eye-stripes, but it certainly looks more like an Anas spp.
    • Daniel Sörensen
      @Andrew Swales Weird, the female they were following is a Long-tailed duck. In the aviary there is also spectacled eider, king eider, freckled duck, barrows goldeneye and some kind of scaup.
      If its not one of these species or hybrids i guess the park must have put other eggs under her.
    • Daniel Sörensen
      I contacted a friend who is interested in hybrids, he then contacted another friend who is an experienced waterfowl breeder. He was sure this duckling is a young chestnut teal (Anas castanea) and that the park probably put these eggs under the brooding long-tail female while hatching her own more valuable eggs in an incubator.
    • Daniel Sörensen
      Just a short update now when I remembered. The ducklings grew up and they are Chestnut teals. Here is a photo I took in November 2019: IMG_1542

(If any moderators or admins see this, could the title be changed to "Chestnut teal duckling"?)
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Weltvogelpark Walsrode
    Uploaded By:
    Daniel Sörensen
    Date:
    12 Jul 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    2765px
    Height:
    2765px
    Aperture:
    f/6.3
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2019:07:05 15:41:20
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 3200
    Focal Length:
    271 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).