Join our zoo community
Chlidonias

Eagle at Wellington Airport

September 2019

Eagle at Wellington Airport
Chlidonias, 1 Nov 2019
TheGerenuk likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      I'd like to say this is a lifesize Harpagornis, but it is actually a lifesize Lord Of The Rings eagle. There is another one being ridden by Gandalf but I liked this one better. Note that it is not looking huge because of perspective, but rather because it is huge. The two people sitting at front left are in the foreground of the eagle itself.
    • DavidBrown
      How does the LOTR eagle compare in size to the actual Harpagornis? Would the real eagle have been significantly smaller? Have you ever seen a life-size Harpagornis model?
    • amur leopard
      @DavidBrown Here is an extract from a very good program I watched a few years ago. It essentially recreates the (generally prehistoric) animals in the London Natural History Museum and creates scenes with them.

I couldn't actually find the actual extract, only how they made it, but hope it is helpful in roughly gauging the size of a Harpagornis.

If we take the program to be largely accurate, it had a wingspan of perhaps 3 metres at adult size. Therefore Harpagornis was likely 3 times smaller than the model above :)
      DavidBrown likes this.
    • Chlidonias
      @DavidBrown there used to be a lifesize model at Te Papa (the National Museum of New Zealand, in Wellington) - if you put the search terms "Te Papa Harpagornis Model" into Google Images you will see some photos of it swooping down on a Moa. I don't think the model is on display any more - or at least I haven't noticed it there in recent times.

The following video is about the making of the model, and you can see it compared to the people.An interesting snippet in the video was that they had to make wing feathers by splicing together other birds' feathers because there aren't any extant birds with primaries long enough to have been used.

DavidBrown likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    New Zealand - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Chlidonias
    Date:
    1 Nov 2019
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4272px
    Height:
    2848px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 1100D
    Date / Time:
    2019:09:22 12:42:31
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 160
    Focal Length:
    20 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).