Join our zoo community
Paradoxurus

Early 1990s

Early 1990s
Paradoxurus, 18 Mar 2013
UngulateNerd92 likes this.
    • Pertinax
      Interesting record of one of the hybrid Asian/African Lions, which were also the only Lions they have ever had.
    • Nanook
      Yes this was "Indus" they were actually thought to be Asiatics for a long time. It was only after some research that it was realised. They came from Jersey Zoo of course.
    • Nanook
      Incidentally this animal later developed severe stereotypical behaviour so much so that he was often taken off show as a result of the public complaints and concerns.
    • IanRRobinson
      They did actually have two pairs for a time, one of which I only ever saw in a holding pen (and, frankly that's all it was) in the courtyard where the Tropical House now stands. THAT pair was, I think purebred P. l. persica, and had come from Jersey. I seem to remember reading that they'd gone to Jersey in 1972, so by the time I saw them in 1985 they must have been very elderly.

I don't know where "Indus" came from - the lioness "Anneka" had been bred at Chester. Both were part of that hybrid East Berlin line that wasted so much time and money.

I have always thought that there's quite a distinct difference in coat colour between Asiatic and African/hybrid Lions; the latter are quite a lot paler. Anyone else agree?
    • Pertinax
      As I understood it, both pairs were impure, including the pair from Jersey.

Regarding colour, I've always though Asiatics are paler in colour than African Lions. I've seen both in the wild too- I was struck at how light-coloured the 'wild' lions in India were.
    • FBBird
      The Jersey pair were captive bred in India, suggesting they had mixed up the races. Presumably that has long ago been sorted out.
    • Nanook
      I agree, none of the lions at Marwell were pure Indian as far as I know, though they were definately thought to be, and were obtained as such in the first place, for many years, it was only much later that it came to light that their genetic composition was rather dubious.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Marwell Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    Paradoxurus
    Date:
    18 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    177.3 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1091px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).