Join our zoo community
Junklekitteb

Eastern Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis michaeli)

Taken in Mysore Zoo, 2010. This female died in 2012. The last male, I believe her father, died in 2004. These were the last black rhinos in India. The zoo has had a long history with black rhinos; this female was at least second generation, if not more, born at the zoo.

Eastern Black Rhinoceros (Diceros bicornis michaeli)
    • The Cassowary
      I think it’s a black rhino.
    • amur leopard
      Definitely a Black rhino :).
    • Mai Thai
      Definitely a Eastern Black Rhino
    • Junklekitteb
      @The Cassowary @amur leopard I have no idea how to tell the difference. The lip and forehead are supposedly the easiest way to differentiate, but with that not visible, the only way I had was the hump, which unfortunately I am quite bad at differentiating.
      @Mai Thai Can you really tell the subspecies from a photo? What do you look for?
    • amur leopard
      @Junklekitteb Generally, a Black rhino's horns are pointier, the hump at the back and at the shoulders is accentuated, and a few other differences but after a while, having seen both species many times, you can ID without seeing any of the 'tell-tale' features.

As regards the subspecies, Eastern black rhino is the only subspecies of Black rhino held in captivity other than South-Central black rhinos (which are only held afaik at Frankfurt Zoo in Germany). However, I'm not entirely sure what subspecies is kept in Asia so can't guarantee it is Eastern. :)
    • Junklekitteb
      @amur leopard Thanks a lot. Unfortunately I believe this was the only black rhino ever held in India during my lifetime, so I don't think I’ll have much chance of ‘seeing them many times’. I’ll try looking at more photos and videos, though.
      Mai Thai likes this.
    • Mai Thai
      @Junklekitteb As @amur leopard said, there are only two types of Black Rhinos in captivity, the Eastern and South-Central. South-Central Black Rhinos in captivity can be found in Australia, a couple zoos in Asia, the Frankfurt Zoo in Europe, and a couple in North America. While the Eastern Black dominates the AZA and EAZA. Eastern Black Rhinos are longer, leaner, and have a more curved horn than their counterparts. South Central Black Rhinos are smaller, have straighter but a lot bigger horns, and are more wrinkled and compact. From what I can tell from this picture, one this Rhino has a very bad back problem and two it’s horn looks more curved and small to me. So jugging by the last two bits of information I can confirm that this was an Eastern Black Rhinoceros. Hope a least some of that information is helpful!
      Sincerely,
      Mai Thai
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Mysore Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Junklekitteb
    Date:
    20 Feb 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2.1 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    3648px
    Height:
    2736px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    FUJIFILM
    Model:
    FinePix HS10 HS11
    Date / Time:
    2010:12:29 13:52:11
    Exposure Time:
    10/4500 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 800
    Focal Length:
    126 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).