Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Eastern Giant Eland

Eastern Giant Eland
ThylacineAlive, 26 Apr 2018
    • ThylacineAlive
      Eastern Giant Eland. January 16, 2018.
    • Kakapo
      :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: I'm absolutely jealous for this!!!!!! Why San Diego had no dreamed Giant Elands during my 2016 visit? They should :p
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Kakapo The zoo had only one individual. Did you not visit the safari park? They have a whole herd mixed with Red-Fronted Gazelles.

~Thylo
      Joker1706 likes this.
    • Kakapo
      No, I didn't visited Safari Park. The most important species, such as California Condors and superb bird of paradise, are also at the Zoo, so, since I knew that they had already no saiga nor black-footed ferret, I planned to don't visit it much before take flight. Just giant eland would be not enough for change my plans, but if they have had many other rare ungulates absent from the zoo, I would tought in it...
    • ThylacineAlive
      I mean, they do have a lot of rare ungulates not at the zoo. The aforementioned elands and Red-Fronted Gazelles, as well as Patterson's Elands, Ugandan Kob, Barbary Red Deer, Grant's Gazelles, Cavendish's Dik-Dik, Sitatunga (the US ssp is different from the ones kept in Europe), Fringe-Eared Oryx, Cape Buffalo, Bontebok, Eastern White-Bearded Wildebeest, Cape Steenbok, Slender-Horned Gazelle, Desert Bighorn Sheep, and Springbok..

~Thylo
    • Kakapo
      Oh yes, I see, thanks. But if you don't count subspecies (that I don't care about), there is not much more that interest me. The steenbok and the giant eland are the only "must" for me, the springbok too but as it's more commonly kept, for sure I will end finding it in another zoo.
    • Joker1706
      I hope, this species will be kept in Europe again one day...
    • Giant Eland
      Where exactly in the Zoo was this located?
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Kakapo even outside of the Groves splits Cavendish's Dik-Dik and, I think, Fringe-Eared Oryx are now thought to be separate species from the ones you have in Europe. And surely Ugandan Kob, Grant's Gazelle and Slender-Horned Gazelle would be of interest to you?

~Thylo
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Giant Eland That row of hoofstock paddocks near Northern Frontier. This particular paddock was once you exit NF and begin to head down the hill towards the birds of prey exhibit. On the map on the website there's a zebra by it.

~Thylo
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    26 Apr 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2017:01:16 18:38:03
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1600
    Focal Length:
    300 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).