Photo taken on the 5th September 2009

Egyptian tortoise
devilfish, 10 Sep 2009
    • devilfish
      Photo taken on the 5th September 2009
    • drzoomi
      i wonder if they got their spicemens from our zoo
    • devilfish
      Most specimens in the UK, and even a significant proportion of those in the rest of Europe, are confiscations given to the zoo through customs. I'm not sure about in Israel, but in Egypt it's still relatively easy to acquire these tortoises (even though they're quite expensive). Because of their appearance and small size, they are frequently smuggled into the EU. I can't remember whether it was at your zoo, but some of your photos of Negev tortoises looked quite different to these: I know that members the Negev and Libyan populations are supposed to look very similar, but I've found that zoos still generally label specimens from the two populations separately, based on appearance. Do you know if identifying the populations on the basis of the animal's appearance is a reliable way of working it out?
    • drzoomi
      I know that my boss formed a breeding program for them she collected them according to their appearence, i can ask her what is uniqe about ours...which called "Testudo kleinmanni "
    • James27
      I think Whipsnade has bred these.
    • devilfish
      Yeah, Whipsnade along with many other UK zoos have been successful in breeding these tortoises.
    • Kifaru Bwana
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL Whipsnade Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    10 Sep 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: