Join our zoo community
gorgeousingray

Elephant enclosure

I felt it was cramped and not stimulating.

Elephant enclosure
gorgeousingray, 8 Aug 2012
    • gorgeousingray
      I felt it was cramped and not stimulating.
    • DavidBrown
      From the photo they appear to have a lot of room - does their enclosure not extend to the back wall?

In terms of enrichment opportunities (does that = "stimulating"?) how does this exhibit differ from Dallas Zoo's exhibit?
    • gorgeousingray
      The allusion of the Caldwell zoo's savanna has tricked you David ;) The elephants actually live in a small dusty paddock which is surrounded by a moat. Because of the clean sight lines it appears the elephants share the savanna with the Kudu and impala. Which unfortunately is not the case.

As for enrichment all I saw was a tire. And of course the pool and mud wallows are enrichment as well. In Dallas we have over head hay-bags, the strangler fig with different places to hide food, as well as direct contact with other species, a water fall, and dead fall/vertical logs (which I feel is an essential part of displaying African elephants).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Caldwell Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    gorgeousingray
    Date:
    8 Aug 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    323.2 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.7
    Make:
    SAMSUNG
    Model:
    SGH-I727
    Date / Time:
    2012:08:07 10:34:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/1261 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 40
    Focal Length:
    4.03 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).