Join our zoo community
BeardsleyZooFan

Elephant Fable

December 29, 2012: The differences between African and Asian Elephants, through a fable.

Elephant Fable
BeardsleyZooFan, 30 Dec 2012
iluvwhales likes this.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      December 29, 2012: The differences between African and Asian Elephants, through a fable.
    • DavidBrown
      Has the Beardsley Zoo ever had elephants?
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I know Beardsley has had Asian Elephants, and possibly African Elephants. There isn't much I can find about their history with elephants, but I do know that the elephant enclosure closed in 1984, one year after Dancho became director, due to three reasons. One, elephants were simply too much in terms of costs to care for, and their exhibit was too small and not realistic enough. Two, Dancho wanted AZA-accreditation, so he tried to change the zoo's focus on American animals. Three, the zoo only had 1 elephant at that time, which is not good for its social health. The elephant was then sent to an elephant reserve, and 3 years later, AZA-accreditation was earned.
    • gerenuk
      Beardsley had both species of elephant at one time or another. Their last elephant was an African female name Sheba who was sent up to the Bowmanville Zoo in Canada. She died last year.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      This sign has a section about the zoo's history with elephants, and part of it says that the last elephant was sent to a 400-acre elephant preserve.:confused:
      Anyways, I found this article about an elephant who once lived at Beardsley. The seventh paragraph talks about Tange's time at Beardsley, from 1969 to 1977, when she killed somebody at Beardsley. Wow.
      The Elephant Sanctuary : Hohenwald Tennessee
    • gerenuk
      Well, reading the article closer it does mention an elephant that lived at Beardsley. But her name was Dottie, an Asian female, not Tange. Dottie was later sold to a private owner, then on to Chehaw.

From what I could find the zoo had 3 elephants.

Shankentul, Asian female, arrived 1955, died 1978.
      Dottie, Asian female, arrived 1969, sold to dealer 1977 (arrived 1978 in Albany, GA)
      Sheba, African female, arrived 1978, transferred to Canada 1984.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Darn it, I must have misread that. Thank you for clarifying on that it was Dottie, and thank you for the history of elephants at Beardsley.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    30 Dec 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: