Join our zoo community
geomorph

Elephant Odyssey - African Lion Exhibit

This is the massive new exhibit complex, opened in May 2009, that is themed to interpreting Southern California during the Pleistocene through habitats for animals that are living examples of the descendants of extinct species from 12,000 years ago.

Elephant Odyssey - African Lion Exhibit
geomorph, 11 Nov 2009
    • geomorph
      This is the massive new exhibit complex, opened in May 2009, that is themed to interpreting Southern California during the Pleistocene through habitats for animals that are living examples of the descendants of extinct species from 12,000 years ago.
    • deanmo19
      The lions are still in need of a bigger and better exhibit in San Diego Zoo.
    • Arizona Docent
      Agreed. I know this has been discussed ad nauseum, but how the formerly world-class San Diego Zoo could build an atrocity like Elephant Odyssey is just mind boggling.
    • Baldur
      I get happier with every new photo that I see of this EO thing that I got to visit SDZ back in 2003 when it resembled what it became famous for and HHM was still around.

Just look at this!

I know some people just pass by lion exhibits, especially if the lions are sleeping, saying to themselves "oh, it's just lions". I on the other hand will take time to observe them for a bit of time, even if they are asleep. In most cases. Only when ugly mesh such as this is between me and the animals, ruining my viewing, will I pass by with the same notion.
    • chrisbarela
      While the mesh is not attractive it does prevent the lions from eating children and the elderly. There isn't enough roam to do a moat exhibit properly. I think lion's were a poor choice for that area - there is much more room on the other end where the camels are and that would have allowed the lions more room.
    • Animal
      The idea for that complex is still great and the exhibits are not that bad. This is a pretty decent lionexhibit, and as can be seen in this pic, the lion got some enrichment. And that is more important than a huge area.
    • reduakari
      I agree--this was a novel and potentially fantastic idea. Unfortunately, just about every aspect of the execution of the concept fails miserably. It ranks as possibly the greatest disappointment in recent zoo exhibit history.
      StoppableSan likes this.
    • sooty mangabey
      This is my absolute favourite posting on Zoochat from recent months.
    • Maguari

I was about to post the same thing as sooty mangabey! :D

Brilliant post.
    • Baldur
      So lions pose no threat to middle-aged people? You never stop learning, do you? :D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    geomorph
    Date:
    11 Nov 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: