Join our zoo community
Trigger

Elephant training

Elephant training
Trigger, 12 May 2009
    • Dan
      Not wanting to create any kind of stir or even debate or discussion whatsoever - can I just say that I am uncomfortable with this picture, and all the symbolism that could be read into it?
    • Trigger
      I know what you mean.
      There was a commentary during this and it was explained that the eles are trained to lean down to enable keepers to check the top of the their heads / ears etc, which I think is far enough and i don't ave a problem with this kind of thing, they were not doing 'tricks' so to speak. However looking at the pick now, it could be read differently.
    • Dan
      Thanks for your well tempered and well reasoned answer to my spontaneous comment! If that is the case only, I have no problem.

Can´t help but to think that I probably prefer the method of protected contact, though.
    • taun
      You're going to be shocked but I agree with you Dan. ;)

This sort of training should be done closed doors (behind sences or when the zoo is closed). Am sorry but as far as am concerned this training is like an elephant show if they were talking about it as well. Yes mention it in a talk but dont demonstrate it.
    • Dan
      Well spoken, Taun!

Actually, I am not that shocked... :)
    • James27
      I prefer free contact, seems easier when it comes to moving, foot care etc, and the keepers get a close relationship with the animals. I personally see no problem with them showing this type of behaviour off, it does look circusy but all elephant training involves the same sort of basic moves, so it will do I guess ;)
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      interesting photo, ...
    • Zambar
      Whilst free contact allows a closer bond between the keeper and the animal, I can't help but rule it out when you consider the number of elephant keeper deaths there's been.
    • dragon(ele)nerd
      yeah, even in places like Kerala where the elephants have been trained for procession for over 1400 years there is a continously flow of deaths.
    • James27
      Continuous? As in people are killed all the time? Sorry, I find that unlikely, I know people have been killed but the amount of zoos and that that use FC we would have heard of that number of deaths.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Twycross Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Trigger
    Date:
    12 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: