Join our zoo community
David Matos Mendes

Elephants "Dandara" and "Jamba" (2005) - Belo Horizonte zoo

Couple of african elephants "Dandara" and "Jamba", who arrived from Botswana in 1998. "Dandara" died in 2010 while giving birth to a stillborn whose father was "Jamba".

Elephants "Dandara" and "Jamba" (2005) - Belo Horizonte zoo
David Matos Mendes, 13 Nov 2020
    • David Matos Mendes
      Couple of african elephants "Dandara" and "Jamba", who arrived from Botswana in 1998. "Dandara" died in 2010 while giving birth to a stillborn whose father was "Jamba".
    • Enzo
      Is Jamba still alive? And what are the names of the other African bush elephants living there?
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Enzo The zoo keeps three african elephants nowadays; the only male, "Jamba", is still alive (he's around 22 yrs old) and living in the front public exhibit. Behind his enclosure, there's a partially visible exhibit holding the females "Beré" and "Axé". "Beré" is a very lovely and polite old lady, who arrived in 1977, and was the first african elephant to give birth in South America, wich happened in the beggining of the 80's. The baby was a stillborn, but a few years later, in 1987, she gave birth to "Axé", who was the first baby african elephant to be born alive in South America. After that, "Beré" gave birth to another baby, "Chocolate", who lives nowadays at Brasília zoo.
    • Enzo
      Thanks. I already knew Beré was Axé and Chocolate's mother, but I thought Jamba was a female and I didn't know about the existance of Dandara.
    • Enzo
      Axé and Chocolate's father was Joca, a bull which lived at the Belo Horizonte zoo. He died in 1995, because he ingested plastic bottles thrown at his enclosure by tourists. His skeleton is/was on display at the PUC Minas Natural Science Museum. Axé and Beré were the first African elephants to breed in Latin America.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Enzo
      Yes, There was an elephant called "Joca", indeed. He was "Beré's" mate. She didn't reproduce anymore after his death in 1995. If you wanna see how he looked, here's an old picture from the zoo's archive:

Elefante joca.jpg

His skeleton is still at PUC Minas museum indeed, as well as the skeleton of an asian elephant called "Margarete", who also lived in BH zoo a long time ago, when the zoo kept african and asian elephants together. Check out a picture from these times:

Recinto antigo elefantes.jpg

About "Dandara", she was indeed a little known elephant at the zoo. There's not much about her on internet. Although I've seen her quite a few times, all I know about her are things the zoo's crew told me about. Her body has been taxydermized in PUC museum, but isn't for display due to some problems of decomposition in her skin that happened after the proccess of preservation. I've posted a picture that I took of her taxidermy during a visit to the museum's backstage here in zoochat, check it out too:

Elephant taxidermy - Museum of PUC Minas - Brazil - ZooChat

Also, check it out how she looked when alive:

"Dandara", the elephant (2005) - Belo Horizonte zoo - ZooChat

Ah, and I think you missunderstood at the end of your comment, that "Beré" and "Axé" were the first to reproduce in Latin America, once it's actually "Joca" and "Beré" who did it, and there's no official register that they were the first in Latin America to breed, but in South America for sure. and "Axé" is a female, and she's their older offspring.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Enzo "Jamba" was supposed to become a father when "Dandara" got pregnant in 2008, but as I said, she unfortunately died during the proccess, and also did the baby.
    • Enzo
      Yes, I confused myself, Joca and Beré were the first to breed in Latin America.
    • Enzo
      If these births were successful, Brazil would probably have lots more of recognition regarding the conservation of elephants.
    • David Matos Mendes
      @Enzo Yes, and the zoo would probably have continued their elephant breeding program if this one had worked... For now, as I told you, the females are kept separated from the male. I hope they join them again in a near future.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Belo Horizonte Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    David Matos Mendes
    Date:
    13 Nov 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    156.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1280px
    Height:
    960px
    Aperture:
    f/3.0
    Make:
    3M DSC
    Model:
    DZ358
    Date / Time:
    2005:01:01 13:54:19
    Exposure Time:
    1/139 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    8.34 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).