Join our zoo community
Newzooboy

Empty Enclosure

Desert Area Nov 2018

Empty Enclosure
Newzooboy, 1 Dec 2018
    • DavidBrown
      This is the former sea lion exhibit. There were brown pelicans in here until fairly recently. Not sure why it is no longer in use.
    • Newzooboy
      Thanks David - so sealions moved to new enclosure near the entrance?
    • DavidBrown
      @Newzooboy It was actually quite complicated what happened. There were two sea lion exhibits - this one and another one in the old aquatics area where the reptile house is now. Those sea lions moved to the new sea lion exhibit that you saw, but then apparently they were able to get out of the new sea lion exhibit, so they were moved back to the old sea lion exhibits and then left the zoo.

For several years the new pinniped exhibit had only harbor seals. They have since retrofitted the new seal exhibit and brought back sea lions.
    • snowleopard
      It's interesting to see such a large exhibit space sit empty. It was devoid of inhabitants when I visited Los Angeles Zoo 18 months ago.
    • DavidBrown
      @snowleopard It may be a water conservation measure. Not sure. This whole complex is fairly derelict. Most of the displays in the adjoining cave aren't even visible now.

If I read the master plan maps correctly this area will eventually become a large California exhibit complex, so it may be that it is just biding time until it gets bulldozed. It would be nice if they would fill the moat with dirt and make it into a reptile exhibit or butterfly garden or something in the meantime, as it is aesthetically very unpleasant.
      snowleopard likes this.
    • Newzooboy
      Thanks David (again!).

There were a few bits a pieces in the complex (the Ringtail and some Gila Monsters I think), but not much........I have to say I was confused by it, and walked around a few times as it seemed it should be more........
    • DavidBrown
      @Newzooboy This whole zone was built in the late 1980s as a southwestern themed children's zoo. There were mountain lions where there is (last time I checked) a badger now. The cave exhibit had several cave-dwelling animal species (bats, barn owl, skunk). That theme was gradually abandoned and the complex has steadily emptied. Eventually this area will be replaced with California condor, grizzly bears, and other native California exhibits. That is likely still several years away though.
    • Newzooboy
      Thanks

I didn't see the badger - more's the pity as I dare say it was an American Badger? Not very often seen in Europe.......I've never seen one!
    • DavidBrown
      @Newzooboy

Yes, it is an American badger. I haven't gone by the exhibit in the last couple months, so not sure if it is still there- if you didn't see it, maybe it isn't even on exhibit. Before the badger there was a North American porcupine in there, and ocelots for many years before that.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Los Angeles Zoo & Botanical Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    Newzooboy
    Date:
    1 Dec 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    7.5 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T3i
    Date / Time:
    2018:11:20 18:42:46
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    18 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).