Join our zoo community
Elephas Maximus

Eupatorus gracilicornis

Eupatorus gracilicornis
Elephas Maximus, 16 Nov 2013
    • Kakapo
      A shame that it's stuffed. I didn't knew this beautiful species.
    • Elephas Maximus
      It's not stuffed but dried :)
      Arachnids, female moths and orthoptera usually require stuffing, to preserve the volume of abdomen. Most beetles are sturdy enough to retain their body shape.
      E. gracilicornis is one of the cheapest rhino beetles for collectors, if purchased dried.
    • Kakapo
      Well, I meant dried. I knew that hard-exoskeleton arthropods such as beetles are not a taxidermy work like mammals and birds. I collected and prepared myself a not small insect collection during many years.
      Ah, and othoptera are not very deformed with the drying, only the most "fat" ones (like Ephippiger and allies). Many "soft" arthropods are better kept in alcohol or formol, the most "deformable" ones according to my experiencie are the bronze bristetails (Machilidae).
    • Elephas Maximus
      If anyone wants to start an exotic insect collection, check here:
      insect-sale.com
      The prices are lowest possible, and at other sites the insects are being overpriced.
      All species sold here are not protected, and many are being farmed (such as large butterflies).
      Most beetles are harvested though.
    • Elephas Maximus
      I better not told this - almost all Macrodontia cervicornis got sold out overnight :(
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Ekaterinburg Butterfly Park & Petting Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Elephas Maximus
    Date:
    16 Nov 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    198.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/3.2
    Make:
    SAMSUNG
    Model:
    SAMSUNG WB600 / VLUU WB600 / SAMSUNG WB610
    Date / Time:
    2012:01:21 14:36:34
    Exposure Time:
    1/30 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    3.9 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).