Join our zoo community
leopardstars29

European Crane

European Crane
leopardstars29, 21 Mar 2013
    • IanRRobinson
      A good collection of cranes would fit well into HWP's remit..have to admit it always saddens me to see pinioned birds.
    • FBBird
      An increasing number of crane breeders are pinioning only the females, with the idea of full-winged males being more fertile. However, the cost of adequate size aviaries means that most captive cranes are still pinioned. It could be argued that a pinioned crane with acres of ground has better quality of life than a full-winged one in an aviary.
      I reared full-winged Mandarin Ducks last year, but following the death of one that killed itself against the aviary roof in a night fright, the survivors are now wing clipped.
      I'm afraid my pet hate is flight-restricted vultures, and to a lesser extent parrots.
    • kiang
      I don't think this crane is pinioned, it is in an enclosed aviary
    • PAT
      I always thought pinioning and wing clipping were two different thing. doesn't pinioning involve surgery and is pretty much irreversible. A bird that only has it's wings clipped will be able to fly again once it moults and grows new feathers.
    • Chlidonias
      Pinioning is removing the last joint of the wing (best done on chicks when it is a much simpler procedure). It is permanent.

Wing-clipping is simply cutting the flight feathers short on one wing to unbalance the bird. It needs to be done every time new flight feathers grow.
    • leopardstars29
      She is pinioned, and is also a hand reared bird, all done at the collection that bred her
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Highland Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    leopardstars29
    Date:
    21 Mar 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    323 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1200px
    Aperture:
    f/2.4
    Make:
    Sony Ericsson
    Model:
    LT18i
    Date / Time:
    2013:01:26 11:16:45
    Exposure Time:
    10/25000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    4.1 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).