Join our zoo community
Maguari

European Mole exhibit at the British Wildlife Centre 14/03/10

Home to a single female [i]Talpa europaea[/i], which we unsurprisingly failed to see (though it's quite possible to, by all accounts). A superb small collection and host to this year's IZES UK Zoo Collectors' Fair.

European Mole exhibit at the British Wildlife Centre 14/03/10
Maguari, 17 Mar 2010
    • Maguari
      Home to a single female Talpa europaea, which we unsurprisingly failed to see (though it\'s quite possible to, by all accounts).

A superb small collection and host to this year\'s IZES UK Zoo Collectors\' Fair.
    • Giant Eland
      Maguari, I was desperately hoping to see this critter when I went a few months later in 2010, only to be told she had passed away a month earlier. I said to the keeper well I bet she would've been hard to photograph anyways, and the keeper was just like "Oh no, she would come out all the time!" Ughh!! To this day I've never photographed a mole, have you had any luck doing so?
    • Maguari
      Only once, and not in this exhibit - it was a mole that had been rescued (by a friend-of-a-friend - an experienced animal keeper) wandering about on a lawn in broad daylight. It seemed in OK physical health but was very confused. She was planning on keeping it overnight and feeding it up then seeing how it goes - never heard what became of it.

I only had a camera phone with me so they are not great shots but when it comes to photos of a living mole you can't be too picky!
    • Giant Eland
      Ahh, if only I had a camera on my phone the few times I've seen moles, but unfortunately it was many years ago before camera phone even existed. I've actually had a dream a few months ago about being able to photograph a mole haha. Last night I looked up Moles in Long Island New York, and a "Mole Control" website came up, so I thought about contacting them and seeing if they would let me photograph a mole after they catch it.

I saw a shrew (guessing a Northern Short-tailed Shrew) in my basement a few years ago, and ran upstairs to get my good camera, but by the time I got back downstairs it was nowhere to be found :( At least I've been able to photograph a few different shrew species at zoos.
    • dean
      It should be easy enough to trap a mole in alive trap and then photograph it before releasing it, the trick with moles is that you need to patrol traps every 4 hours they feed/patrol for about that time then sleep the same.

All the shots you see of moles just popping out of the mole hill are taken with dead moles.
      i have often thought about trying to keep one, but they need large amounts of food and space in which to live. As a child I had a huge glass fronted kitchen cabinet give to me and Moles where my first thought as I assumed they would look very good running past the window sadly i couldn't find a mole at that time.
    • Giant Eland
      Any word if they've added another European Mole?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    British Wildlife Centre
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    17 Mar 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: