Join our zoo community
Javan Rhino

European red fox cub

European red fox cub (Vulpes vulpes vulpes) - Chestnut Centre - 07/05/2012

European red fox cub
Javan Rhino, 8 May 2012
amur leopard likes this.
    • Javan Rhino
      European red fox cub (Vulpes vulpes crucigera) - Chestnut Centre - 07/05/2012
    • Maguari
      Lovely pic, but to be pedantic this is much more likely to be V. v. crucigera, which is the form found in the UK and most of Europe - V. v. vulpes is found mostly in Scandinavia and Russia. :)
    • Javan Rhino
      You're right Maguari, thanks for pointing that out :) - I didn't think to check as I had it in my head that the British red fox was the nominate subspecies.

Thank you for the compliment on the picture - we spent a good 30-45 minutes watching this little cub playing with two of his keepers for enrichment - of course both are canids but it was still amazing just how similar it was to seeing a puppy play.
    • Maguari
      Thinking about it, is this a rescue animal or has it bred at CC? They only had one when I was last there but that was a while ago now.
    • Javan Rhino
      It was a rescue animal - I'm not sure how many adults they had, I think it was just the one but all I saw was a red ball of fluff on a distant platform :)
    • Maguari
      Thanks - sounds like most likely the same animal I saw plus this new rescue.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Chestnut Centre Conservation & Wildlife Park
    Uploaded By:
    Javan Rhino
    Date:
    8 May 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count: