Join our zoo community
CMP

European wall lizard (Podarcis muralis)

Smale riverfront park, Downtown Cincinnati, June 19

European wall lizard (Podarcis muralis)
CMP, 10 Jul 2021
    • UngulateNerd92
      Fascinating! How long has this species been established in Cincinnati and when were they introduced to the area? This actually reminds me of when I saw a Spiderman agama (Agama mwanzae) out of the blue in a parking lot in St. Lucie County, something I certainly wasn't expecting, knowing that the species is from East Africa (specifically Tanzania, Rwanda, and Kenya).
      CMP likes this.
    • CMP
      The story is actually quite interesting and I'm very happy that there were fairly easy to see around Cincinnati, mostly around the zoo and riverfront parks.

Here is the wikipedia article about the species: Podarcis muralis - Wikipedia

And here is a quoted portion about the Cincinnati population.
    • UngulateNerd92
      @ChunkyMunky pengopus oh wow! Thank you for sharing this with me. Is Cincinnati the best place to spot them in their introduced range if you will? I know that Hamilton County, Ohio where Cincinnati is is right across the state line from Kentucky, so it doesn't suprise me that they also occur in Kentucky as well.
      CMP likes this.
    • CMP
      @UngulateNerd92 I didn't really go anywhere in Kentucky where they would be, but there are definitely reports from there. It is curious to think about the lizards crossing the bridge over the Ohio to colonise new lands :D.

I wasn't in Cincinnati for too long, but I would say the zoo is probably one of the best spots to see them. I saw them quite a few times there along the lushly planted pathways.
      Observations ยท iNaturalist
    • UngulateNerd92
      @ChunkyMunky pengopus in the zoo? No kidding. Did the zoo ever keep any on exhibit or even off exhibit?
    • CMP
    • UngulateNerd92
      @ChunkyMunky pengopus ah ok. Very interesting. Also, I wonder why the Ohio Department of Natural Resources made the decision to give them special protection? It is fascinating yet unexpected that they did.
    • UngulateNerd92
      CMP likes this.
    • CMP
      @UngulateNerd92 Thanks for the link, it was very interesting information.
    • UngulateNerd92
      Pardon my digression, but It looks as if the "Lazarus lizards" and Sumatran rhinoceros are two non-native species (though in different contexts) that made themselves a major part of Cincinnati's culture. I am pleasantly surprised by how many people from Cincinnati that aren't even zoo people, but regular residents know what a Sumatran rhinoceros is, because they grew up there and were familiar with their zoo's work with them. Similar story with "Lazarus lizards" as pointed out in the article from Ohio State University. Is that a fair comparison?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    United States - Wildlife
    Uploaded By:
    CMP
    Date:
    10 Jul 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.8 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4272px
    Height:
    2848px
    Aperture:
    f/7.1
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T3
    Date / Time:
    2021:06:19 01:31:22
    Exposure Time:
    1/400 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 500
    Focal Length:
    250 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).