Join our zoo community
Arizona Docent

exhibit modification

June 11, 2013. The former mandrill exhibit being made ready for black and white ruffed lemurs. The two new lemurs have arrived and are being held in separate quarters in the night house. Male is from Gladys Porter Zoo and female is from St Louis Zoo.

exhibit modification
Arizona Docent, 11 Jun 2013
    • Arizona Docent
      June 11, 2013. The former mandrill exhibit being made ready for black and white ruffed lemurs. The two new lemurs have arrived and are being held in separate quarters in the night house. Male is from Gladys Porter Zoo and female is from St Louis Zoo.
    • uszoo
      Is the zoo planning on getting more lemurs, as 2 is a very small number?
    • Arizona Docent
      Apparently not. I was surprised by this too, but I am not a lemur expert. They are on a breeding recommendation, with hopes of just having the two and their occasional offspring. (This is the reason for the modification - the old chain link fence was not narrow enough to prevent baby lemurs from slipping through).
    • uszoo
      - Ok thank you. I wish they could have found a different primate species that was from mainland africa as opposed to a lemur species. I also think that if your gonna have 1 species of lemur cant it be a rarer species such as Sifaka which do god with smaller social groupings.
    • Arizona Docent
      Well I wish it would have been serval or caracal, but we cannot all have what we want.

However, the zoo is in the final stretch of choosing a new director, so it will be interesting to see the directions we take after this...
    • DavidBrown
      Do you know why they decided to stop exhibiting mandrills?
    • Arizona Docent
      Our male died and we only had a lone female. Apparently no available companions, so it was decided (among AZA colleagues) the best decision would be to send remaining female mandrill to Phoenix Zoo to pair up with two young siblings who recently lost their mother. (At least I think that is their situtation - but do not quote me on that part, I am sure it is Phoenix however).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Reid Park Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Arizona Docent
    Date:
    11 Jun 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    146.5 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    648px
    Height:
    432px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 5D Mark II
    Date / Time:
    2013:06:11 10:51:33
    Exposure Time:
    1/800 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    98 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).