Join our zoo community
Maguari

Exotarium at Frankfurt 31/08/10

Home to the zoo's Gentoo Penguins, Aquarium and the bulk of the herpetological and invertebrate collections.

Exotarium at Frankfurt 31/08/10
Maguari, 17 Sep 2010
    • Maguari
      Home to the zoo\'s Gentoo Penguins, Aquarium and the bulk of the herpetological and invertebrate collections.
    • DavidBrown
      What does "exotarium" mean? Does the "exo" stand for "exotic"?
    • zoomaniac
      Yes, although you can find some native/european species in that building too.
    • Chlidonias
      exotarium seems to be a relatively common word in European collections now -- does it stem from Frankfurt Zoo's buildling, or was it an existing word before the Zoo used it?

To my everlasting disappointment, the one time I visited Frankfurt Zoo (in 2004) I didn't go into the Exotarium because I didn't have enough money on me for the extra entrance fee :(
    • zoomaniac
      @Chlidonias: I don't know the answer to your first question, sorry.

But I wonder about your second phrase. Frankfurt Zoo has indeed had an extra fee for the Exotarium. But IF(!) I remember correctly, this is gone more then 8 years ago (it is now included in the ordinary entrance fee). Are you sure about the time?
    • Chlidonias
      yes it was definitely 2004
    • Pygathrix
      What other collections use the term exotarium? I've never heard it used anywhere else.
    • Maguari
      Zurich does, for one.
    • Pygathrix
      Thanks. That's another place I ought to get back to soon.
    • Chlidonias
      Google "exotarium" and you find collections in Germany, Russia, France, even Canada....
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    Maguari
    Date:
    17 Sep 2010
    View Count:
    Comment Count: