okapikpr

Expanded Gorilla Yard - Great Apes of the World

December 2008.

Expanded Gorilla Yard - Great Apes of the World
okapikpr, 7 May 2009
    • okapikpr
      December 2008.
    • taun
      Do they use this? As it seems very open?
    • okapikpr
      Im not sure...I dont really go there to often. In this photo, it is winter, they just filled in a moat to combine to yards, and were starting to plant more vegetation.
    • taun
      Ok, thanks for the reply.
    • snowleopard
      It looks much better than it did in the first week of December, but still a totally inappropriate enclosure for a great ape.
    • okapikpr
      This picture was taken a week after your visit snowleopard.
    • snowleopard
      There is so much more grass on the ground!
    • FSBlue
      Went a few days ago. They are in the process of adding a large set up climbing structures in the middle of the exhibit for when they put the Colobus Monkeys in with Quito later in the month. They also have put a lot of new plants in, though they were roped off with hot wire. I assume that is to keep him from tearing them up until they get larger.
    • reduakari
      Hmmm, while I agree this is not a great exhibit, it looks very similar to places like Omaha that have escaped your critical reviews.
    • snowleopard
      @reduakari: The 4 enclosures for gorillas in Omaha all offer up a much more varied terrain than the flat landscape in Jacksonville. Plus, there are troops of gorillas (family and bachelor) in Omaha while in this photo there is an exhibit for a single male ape. Thank goodness that the zoo is going to be adding a climbing structure and colobus monkeys to the enclosure, but in general Jacksonville's primate exhibits leave a lot to be desired and are nowhere near as impressive as other sections of the zoo.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens
    Uploaded By:
    okapikpr
    Date:
    7 May 2009
    View Count:
    Comment Count: