Prairie Dog in July 2011

Face to Face with a Prairie Dog
BeardsleyZooFan, 5 Aug 2011
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Prairie Dog in July 2011
    • AnaheimZoo
      They're so cute... I love this exhibit! :D
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      You've been here before? What are your opinions on the place?
    • AnaheimZoo
      Awh, I've been to the Beardsley Zoo at least 7 or 8 times. I've lived in Connecticut since 2003, so I've been able to see our only zoo before, :D. Personally, I love it; sure, it's no Bronx Zoo, but it's a humble zoo that I really love going to. My favorite exhibits have to be the bison, pronghorn, these prairie dogs, the guinea hogs (and probably all of the other animals at the farm) and the sandhill cranes.

My most recent trip, which was on Saturday, November 5th (2011), I met with Tracy Benham (I'm sure you know here, the zoo's volunteer coordinater) and shadowed a zookeeper for the day. I got a backstage tour of the storage in the Rainforest House, and helped out with guests. It was a fun experience, and one that I think will make me want to sign up for the zoo's internship program. :D

I'm glad that you're here on this website providing information for us on the zoo. It doesn't seem like many others on the forum visit the zoo, so there's one thing we've got in common. :) I've been wanting to upload the pictures from that trip, but my camera keeps failing to properly upload the pictures and videos.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      I've been here countless times and I always enjoy it. My personal favorite exhibits are all the exhibits in Alligator Alley, the prairie dog exhibit, Chacoan Peccary exhibit, and the Gray and Red Wolf exhibits. I want to make a visit real soon to see all the new stuff (Chacoan peccary piglet, Yacare Caiman hatchlings, new Tiger originally born at the zoo, baby pronghorn etc.). You said your most recent visit was in November. Did you see the new lynx, rheas, or caiman hatchlings?
    • AnaheimZoo
      Oh! I completely forgot about the wolves and peccary exhibit (strange, because I was just looking at their map yesterday :eek:)! I also love the Rainforest Building. I think I just love the entire zoo... :)

No, I wasn't able to see the lynx... Was it (or are they) a Canada lynx or Eurasian?

Yes, I saw the rheas, gorgeous birds; they were next to the cattle. Have they been moved? Or are they staying in that paddock on the farm?

I don't recall seeing any hatchlings... I do believe there was only one caiman in the exhibit, anyway.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      The two lynx are Canada Lynx from the Minnesota Zoo. I think the rheas will stay where they are, all though it would be nice to see the llamas move to the farmyard and the rheas would take over the llama exhibit.
      After my visit today, I learned the caiman baby wasn't big enough to go on exhibit yet.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Any progress on uploading those photos yet?:)
    • AnaheimZoo
      Ugh... like you said in the "Guess the Species" thread, I'll do it when I feel less lazy... :D

Have you seen the "holding" area in the Rainforest Building? Just curious.
    • BeardsleyZooFan
      Unfortunately, I have not seen the "holding area" in the New World Tropics Building. However, I have been on a tour of the Rainforest Building before it opened. It was nice because the animals were active and there weren't guests everywhere.
      Why, is there any secrets I should know about in the holding area?:D
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Connecticut's Beardsley Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    BeardsleyZooFan
    Date:
    5 Aug 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count: