Join our zoo community
cypher

Feathertail Glider Exhibit

Here's where the New Feathertail Glider exhibit is. Managed to get a great shot without to bad of a reflection from the flash. Keep in mind that this is a nocturnal exhibit, so it isn't lit up like this. It's dark and lit blue, like you would see with the bats or the Prehensile-tailed porcupine in the Americas Pavilion. My flash removed all the blue and added fresh lighting.

Feathertail Glider Exhibit
cypher, 5 Jun 2014
    • cypher
      Here's where the New Feathertail Glider exhibit is in the Australasia Pavilion, where the Frilled Lizard used to be. Managed to get a great shot without to bad of a reflection from the flash.

Keep in mind that this is a nocturnal exhibit, so it isn't lit up like this. It's dark and lit blue, like you would see with the bats or the Prehensile-tailed porcupine in the Americas Pavilion. My flash removed all the blue and added fresh lighting.
    • arcticwolf
      How did you think the exhibit was for them?
    • cypher
      What do you mean exactly?
    • arcticwolf
      Sorry for not making my question more specific.

I know that this exhibit used to hold one lizard, so did you find the space suitable for a group of gliders? I've never seen them before so I don't know how large they are.
    • cypher
      Ah, I see. Well, the exhibit is smaller than the Sugar Glider exhibit, but I think it's pretty sufficient for them. There's lots of room for them to climb around, although no real room for Gliding, so I guess that's the only downfall.

I also overheard 2 Keepers talking about the fact that they were trying extremely hard in making the move as comfortable as possible for the Feathertail Gliders, by using different scent sources to reduce their stress. Seems like the Keepers have the old blanket that the Feathertails slept on before they came to the zoo. Using that during the move of exhibits has helped with the overall stress of the animals.
    • arcticwolf
      Thanks for letting me know. It's nice to know that the keepers are doing their best to make sure the gliders feel comfortable in their new home.

Even though I'm sure the exhibit is good for them, I'm a little disappointed that they can't glide, as that's something I'd love to see.
    • TZFan
      The space of the pavilion has always felt dark to me. If there is the space behind the wall it would be fantastic to open things up and have some nocturnal exhibits there. Maybe a small central exhibit for lizards or snakes, something that wouldnt require as much keeper care. Then the walls opend up for sugar gliders (because it bugs me they are in the reef), feathertails, maybe the bettongs. Its not a ton of space but a couple of things could be done.
    • Chlidonias
      Feathertail gliders are just tiny wee things, about the size of mice.
    • arcticwolf
      I didn't realize they would be that small! I was expecting something a little smaller than a sugar glider. Now I'm sure the exhibit has enough space for them as it was pretty large for the frilled lizard.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Toronto Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    cypher
    Date:
    5 Jun 2014
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    226.6 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1067px
    Aperture:
    f/3.8
    Make:
    NIKON CORPORATION
    Model:
    NIKON D7100
    Date / Time:
    2014:06:05 09:11:49
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 1000
    Focal Length:
    24 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).