First Overhead Passage

Tiger Passage June 5th 2016

First Overhead Passage
Kudu21, 7 Jun 2016
    • Kudu21
      Tiger Passage
      June 5th 2016
    • snowleopard
      I am definitely impressed with Tiger Passage as I've been a long-time supporter of the rotational exhibits at Point Defiance Zoo and Louisville Zoo and with 4 different enclosures I see a similar theme at Cleveland Zoo. Once the tigers settle into their new surroundings and the vegetation thickens then this part of the zoo will possibly become a world-class set of habitats.

What is on each side of the overhead passage? Are those gated, enclosed keeper areas? Is any part of the overhead shift area heated to encourage the cats to access the walkway?
    • Drew
      On the right is a larger keeper vestibule that serves as secondary containment and the everyday keeper access into that exhibit. At each end of the two shifts is a reverse guillotine shift door that can be opened and closed to control the cats access into the different exhibits. These controls are separated from the public by a narrow chainlink enclosure are are controlled from underneath the shift. There is a natural screening material on the chainlink to hide the controls. The shift is not heated. It was discussed in design but ultimately the zoo chose not to pursue that route. The view from up there is incredible and comprehensive... as a predator species our hope is that the cats would enjoy it enough to frequent them as well. Time will tell!
    • Zooplantman
      Philadelphia's cats seem to enjoy lounging in their shift over the visitor path. Kansas City's leopard, too. So why not? It'll be fun!
    • Gulo gulo
      I dig the debarked trees used to disguise the metal works of the chute. Adds an organic feel vs. themed fabrication.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Cleveland Metroparks Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Kudu21
    Date:
    7 Jun 2016
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    651.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1024px
    Height:
    768px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).