Join our zoo community
Zooish

Fish Files: Goliath Tigerfish

Hydrocynus goliath. Native to the Congo.

Fish Files: Goliath Tigerfish
Zooish, 20 Dec 2013
    • Zooish
      Hydrocynus goliath. Native to the Congo.
    • DavidBrown
      @Zooish

What is your opinion of the Goliath tigerish exhibit at the River Safari? Does it make an impression on zoo visitors, or is it bypassed as "just another fish" exhibit?

I ask because I just watched a documentary on the species and its ecological role as the apex fish predator of the Congo. It seems like the species could make an impressive exhibit, but barely anyone exhibits the species. River Safari may have the only exhibit in the world devoted to the species, and I'm curious how well it works in portraying the species.
    • Gondwana
      @DavidBrown I've seen this species exhibited at Shedd. It's been a few years since I was last there so I'm not sure they are still around, but at the time they were in one of the rows of tanks in the original/historic galleries. I don't recall there being much hoopla associated with them, but they weren't full-sized.
      DavidBrown likes this.
    • Zooish
      @DavidBrown i would say the goliath tigerfish does capture visitors' attention at River Safari. People are immediately drawn to their outsized teeth. It helps that River Safari's 2 specimens are fairly large (the larger one is about 2 feet long), and they are exhibited in one of the larger tanks. I understand they can be tricky to house with conspecifics and other species given their aggression.
      DavidBrown likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    River Wonders
    Uploaded By:
    Zooish
    Date:
    20 Dec 2013
    View Count:
    Comment Count: