Join our zoo community
SwampDonkey

Florida aviary

The original Florida aviary remains, it really could have used an update, sprucing up, in the remodeling of this area.

Florida aviary
SwampDonkey, 4 Mar 2022
    • snowleopard
      Thanks for all your photos. I'm quite surprised that there wasn't a long list of changes to this area, as it has been closed for a while. Many of the original enclosures were hardly changed at all, but it's nice to see the new stuff and the signage is colourful.
    • SwampDonkey
      @snowleopard I am currently writing a comprehensive review in the ZT 2022 thread. But yes, it is odd that they did not list exactly what they were doing, and the actual apathy of the renovations are saddening. :)
      snowleopard likes this.
    • snowleopard
      @SwampDonkey I'm looking forward to your comments! For me, Miami is far and away the #1 zoo in Florida, with Jacksonville clearly #2 in my opinion, and these new changes to Tampa aren't anything to threaten the position of those top two zoos. (I'm not a huge fan of DAK, but that would be another contender for some zoo nerds)

However, I know that @pachyderm pro wouldn't agree as he included Tampa in his 'must-see American zoo thread' and he omitted Jacksonville entirely! :eek:
      PossumRoach likes this.
    • SwampDonkey
      @snowleopard Yeah, it has been too long for me to really judge Jax or Miami. The last time I was in Jax was 2004 and the last time I was in Miami zoo was....1995. So, a while!
      snowleopard likes this.
    • pachyderm pro
      I do want to clarify, while Jacksonville could be argued to be the objectively better zoo, Tampa has a much more diverse collection of rarities and a more distinct style. Jacksonville seems rather typical without much that's particularly distinctive or noteworthy, which is why I didn't include it. Tampa is a much more unique experience thanks to the shoebills, behind the scenes tram ride, and the incredibly diverse collection of native wildlife, although it would probably rank near the bottom of my must-see list.

With that said, this new panther and bear complex is a huge blunder and is a definite step backwards for the zoo. I genuinely don't know what they were thinking when designing these exhibits, as the panther habitats are honestly terrible and the bear exhibit looks worse then it did pre-renovation. There was an opportunity to do something really cool here, but wow they really screwed up on this one.
    • SwampDonkey
      @pachyderm pro perfectly said! You really hit the nail on the head with this:
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Tampa at Lowry Park
    Uploaded By:
    SwampDonkey
    Date:
    4 Mar 2022
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    5.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    4032px
    Height:
    3024px
    Aperture:
    f/2.2
    Make:
    Google
    Model:
    Pixel 5a
    Date / Time:
    2022:03:04 12:29:17
    Exposure Time:
    985/1000000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 36
    Focal Length:
    2.22 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).