Join our zoo community
ThylacineAlive

Former Eurasian Caprine Cliff

Former Eurasian Caprine Cliff
    • Dhole dude
      What used to be exhibited here?
    • ThylacineAlive
      African Plains: Overview of the former Eurasian caprine cliff-face. August 13, 2021. From what I've heard the tram used to visit this and other now off-exhibit sections where it was home to 70+ Siberian Ibex, Himalayan Tahr, and European Mouflon. Today it can only be viewed from a distance and I believe it is used to house additional Desert Bighorn Sheep.
      IndianRhino likes this.
    • Kudu21
      @ThylacineAlive — Yes, it holds bachelor desert bighorns and Transcaspian urials.
    • Arizona Docent
      Yes those were the good old days, when the monorail lasted longer, went by this exhibit, and it was filled with rare (in zoos) ungulates like mouflon.
    • ThylacineAlive
      @Arizona Docent There aren't any caprines left at all on the tram anymore.

~Thylo
    • geomorph
      The monorail would stop at the base of this escarpment and the guide would challenge visitors to try to find all the inhabitants! Most of them blended right in with the rocks. When I used to maintain a list of favorite exhibits, this one was near the top.
    • Ituri
      For reference sake, this habitat was known as the "Mountain Habitat" on the old monorail tour. The European Mouflon weren't always a part of the mix, it was usually and mostly consisted of the Siberian Ibex and Himalayan Tahr. Tragic loss in my book, it was amazing to watch the empty cliff and then suddenly see one goat, then another, and then soon you realized the whole mountain was covered in them.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    San Diego Zoo Safari Park
    Uploaded By:
    ThylacineAlive
    Date:
    20 Aug 2021
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    4.3 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5184px
    Height:
    3456px
    Aperture:
    f/5.6
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS REBEL T5
    Date / Time:
    2020:08:13 14:45:41
    Exposure Time:
    1/125 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    75 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).