Join our zoo community
Tim May

Former Rhino House; Antwerp; 8th September 2018

Former Rhino House; Antwerp; 8th September 2018
Tim May, 21 Sep 2018
    • Tim May
      On my early visits to Antwerp, this building housed northern white rhinoceros; it is now incorporated within the Cape buffalo / walk through aviary exhibit.
    • KevinB
      According to Zootierliste, a Northern white rhinoceros was present at Antwerp until 1985. This building continued to house Southern white rhinoceros until 2001. After that the house was used to keep a variety of species - Malayan tapir, pygmy hippopotamus, Himalayan thar, lowland anoa, red-necked wallaby, ostrich - before being restored and incorporated in the bird house for the savanna/buffalo aviary. The building now houses birds, including guineafowl and ducks.
    • Tim May
      @KevinB Thanks for the additional information; in addition to the northern white rhino, I've seen various other species housed there too but don't think I ever saw the thar in that building.

NB According to both the White Rhinoceros Studbook and Rookmaaker’s book “The Rhinoceros in Captivity”, the northern white rhinoceros “Chloe” died in Antwerp on 7th August 1985
    • KevinB
      The Himalayan that were only kept in this enclosure temporarily (maybe a year or a bit more, I don't know exactly and I don't have photographic evidence from that period) while the "mountain" area of the zoo was being rebuilt into the current exhibit.

What species do you remember, other than the ones I mentioned, being kept in this house?

NB I got the date on the Northern white rhinoceros mixed up with something else, ZTL does say 1985, which is in accordance with the book you mentioned. I'm sorry.
    • Tim May
      @KevinB

I don't remember any species other than the ones you mentioned being kept here; as mentioned, I don't recall the thar being housed here but I guess the period they were there never coincided with any of my visits.
      KevinB likes this.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    Tim May
    Date:
    21 Sep 2018
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    8.4 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    5396px
    Height:
    3604px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Canon
    Model:
    Canon EOS 750D
    Date / Time:
    2018:09:08 09:59:25
    Exposure Time:
    1/200 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 100
    Focal Length:
    20 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).