Join our zoo community
Baldur

Frankfurt Zoo 1999 - Sumatran orangutan

Scanned photo from my visit in June 1999. Sumatran Orangutan.

Frankfurt Zoo 1999 - Sumatran orangutan
Baldur, 1 Jan 2011
    • Baldur
      Scanned photo from my visit in June 1999.

Sumatran Orangutan.
    • Blackduiker
      This rivals the terrible cage that is no more in Honolulu. Probably the worst I ever saw in recent years. Fortunately, Honolulu has made significant improvements for their Orangs.
    • Blackduiker
      Maybe this was just part of the night quarters?
    • Baldur
      No, this side faces the outdoor area.
    • Maguari
    • Chlidonias
      ah that's nice. I remember the ape cages from when I was at Frankfurt back in 2004 and it was rather depressing then
    • Baldur
      As I said, I haven't been since 2002, and news of new exhibit constructions/openings usually go into one ear and out the other, unless the species in question is of particular interest to me. I guess the shame is on me but fortunately we've got Maguari with the facts here! :D
    • Pertinax
      Here it looks unchanged from the 1960's apart from woodwool on the floor. But that House is now no more and a lovely new 'state of the art' one one has arisen in its place.
    • Baldur
      I'd actually be interested to know which other zoos you visited in Europe. I've been on Zoochat three years now and while I know you have done a lot of travel in Southeast Asia and Australasia, I honestly don't recall you saying until now that you've visited Europe ... if you don't mind! :D
    • Chlidonias
      sure. I've been to Frankfurt Zoo and....that's it :D

I was just passing through Frankfurt on the way to England so went to the zoo and the amazing Senckenberg Museum (there are no dedicated natural history museums in NZ so I was in heaven there). In England I saw Manchester Airport and a little town called Bury, and that's it (long story, which I don't care to relate).
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Zoo Frankfurt
    Uploaded By:
    Baldur
    Date:
    1 Jan 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    175.9 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1599px
    Height:
    1032px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).