Join our zoo community
Zambar

Frozen in Time

An old sign which would read 'The Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes & Monkeys' I spotted on my way out, covered in the 'modern' exhibit techniques. 24th February 2011.

Frozen in Time
Zambar, 26 Feb 2011
    • Zambar
      An old sign which would read \'The Michael Sobell Pavilions for Apes & Monkeys\' I spotted on my way out, covered in the \'modern\' exhibit techniques. 24th February 2011.
    • Pertinax
      Interesting shot. There used to be a plaque in the wall of the 'Ape block' talking about 'the Orangutans in these Pavilions were adopted by ...etc' and it was still there of course long after Orangutans had left the Zoo and Gorillas were using their enclosure(or 'cage';))
    • Cat-Man
      not forgeting the Panda's of Chia Chia, Ching Ching, Ming Ming and Bao Bao also living there;) what year were the pavillions built?
    • Shirokuma
      They were built in 1970-1972
    • Pertinax
      They never lived in the Ape block. The Pandas were always in the 'North' block, in the enclosure which is still there and houses the Colobus.

The Ape block was roughly on the site of the outdoor Gorilla Kingdom.
    • Cat-Man
      ^i didn't realise there was a difference between them
      Is there a detailed plan of the 2 blocks?
    • Shirokuma
      For detailed information on the buildings of London Zoo I highly reccommend this book

[ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Buildings-London-Commission-Historical-Monuments/dp/0113000502/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319544538&sr=8-1"]The Buildings of London Zoo: Amazon.co.uk: Royal Commission on Historical Monuments: Books[/ame]
    • Pertinax
      There were actually four blocks. The Ape Block and three containing Monkeys(and Pandas;) ).

Two blocks can still be seen- the one with the Colobus (the other side of which now has the Gorilla night dens) and the one opposite the Gorilla dayroom which is still complete.

The indoor part of the third block is also still visible as the indoor of the aviary as you enter Gorilla Kingdom. Only the Ape Bock has gone completely. All the outside cages were like the Colobus and Diana Monkey ones.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    Zambar
    Date:
    26 Feb 2011
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    402.8 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1600px
    Height:
    1000px
    Aperture:
    f/2.8
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-FZ38
    Date / Time:
    2011:02:24 16:02:44
    Exposure Time:
    10/300 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 125
    Focal Length:
    4.8 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).