Join our zoo community
devilfish

Futile pigeon deterrents, 30th September 2012.

On the Mappin terraces. Visible in the photo are two methods supposed to deter pigeons. In the background there is a raptor-shaped kite and a model of an owl on one of the mountains. Also visible in the photo is their lack of effect. Photo taken on the 30th September 2012.

Futile pigeon deterrents, 30th September 2012.
devilfish, 30 Sep 2012
    • devilfish
      On the Mappin terraces.
      Visible in the photo are two methods supposed to deter pigeons. In the background there is a raptor-shaped kite and a model of an owl on one of the mountains.

Also visible in the photo is their lack of effect.

Photo taken on the 30th September 2012.
    • Ituri
      Clearly it's working. ;)
    • Maguari
      Y'know what'd scare the pigeons away?

Bears.

(Yeah, I went there!)
    • DavidBrown
      Why not just turn it into a "Pigeons Of The World" exhibit? No additional theming needed.
    • Hix

LOL!!!!!!!
    • Pertinax
      Someone flying a trained Peregrine Falcon.... they could do it outside visitor hours. :)
    • DavidBrown
      devilfish likes this.
    • Zooplantman
      Looks to me like the deterrents worked perfectly. There are no pigeons on the "mountain" or anywhere near the fake predators. What they clearly need is a small crocodile
    • Pertinax
      There is nothing(?) kept on the Mountain anymore- its all semi-derelict/unsafe. The pigeons are all down near the areas where there are animals- Wallabies, Emus etc (and presumably food) in the 'Australasian area'.;)
    • wenxue
      When I was there last Saturday the "mountain" with the fake raptors was clear. All the pigeons had just moved to the other "mountain" where there were no fake raptors. So the answer is probably just to put hundreds of fake raptors around the zoo. If you want to reduce the pigeon population in the zoo then really you have to do it London wide. I went to St James's Park a few weeks ago and clearly there had been no pigeon control measures in place at all during it's "use" (utter destruction) for the olympics. There were places where you could not see the ground for pigeons. It was hideous.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZSL London Zoo
    Uploaded By:
    devilfish
    Date:
    30 Sep 2012
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    288.4 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1200px
    Height:
    1600px
    Aperture:
    f/4.0
    Make:
    Panasonic
    Model:
    DMC-TZ6
    Date / Time:
    2012:09:30 13:42:38
    Exposure Time:
    10/4000 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 80
    Focal Length:
    7.3 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).