Join our zoo community
KevinB

Future Yellow mongoose and Kirk's dik-dik (?) exhibits, 2020-06-28

See comment below.

Future Yellow mongoose and Kirk's dik-dik (?) exhibits, 2020-06-28
KevinB, 4 Jul 2020
DelacoursLangur likes this.
    • KevinB
      Better photos of the exhibits can be seen in the Facebook album at the link below.

Themepark Magic

From what I understood based on a map published in one of the zoo's member magazines early this year the plan was to house Kirk's dik-diks at this location.

However according to the most recent information I saw at the Laafsekikkers the first exhibit has become the new home for the zoo's Yellow mongoose. It is not clear to me whether the second, larger exhibit will in fact house the Kirk's dik-diks or be for another species, or be connected to the rhinoceros and savanna paddocks.

Four Kirk's dik-diks have already arrived at Zoo Antwerpen, and they are currently housed in the former Red panda/Muntjac exhibit near the jubilee complex, but will likely not be able to live there permanently due to the ongoing renovations.

I plan to visit again later this month to view the new developments that have happened since my most recent visit, and to hopefully clear up some things also.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @KevinB I just wanted to say that I really appreciate these photos and the in depth information you provide along with them. Antwerp is probably my favorite zoo to follow on this forum as I absolutely love the combination of historic and modern architecture it excels in.
      KevinB likes this.
    • KevinB
      @DelacoursLangur Thank you very much for your nice comment.

I have myself grown to appreciate the combination of old an modern at Antwerp a lot more in the last few years.

This exhibit and the rhinoceros paddock have since been finished. The first part has now become the yellow mongoose exhibit, the back part is actually a part of the rhinoceros paddock. The dik-diks are still in the former red panda/muntjac exhibit behind the gift shop/restaurant building.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to visit Zoo Antwerpen to see and photograph the finished version yet. Antwerp is a real hotbed of the resurgence of Covid-19 here in Flanders/Belgium and it is just not a good idea to go there right now.

Today I couldn't even manage to feel safe and right enough to go to Planckendael, so it will probably be a while before I'll go to the zoo again, I'm afraid.

That said, I still have quite a bit of recent material that I really should make an effort to get posted soon.
    • DelacoursLangur
      @KevinB Glad your taking personal safety into consideration. Antwerp Zoo is nearly two centuries old, it will still be there when things are safer. I have confidence we will have a vaccine by next summer, so we have that to look forwards too. Any ideas what the near future plans are for future development at Antwerp?

Cheers
    • KevinB
      @DelacoursLangur It isn't just minding my safety, which I do, but also a lot of anxiety and stress over the current situation. That and some negative comments I got on Facebook earlier this week about my plans to go to Planckendael, and the arguments of which I was unable to really argue against, dissuaded me from going to Planckendael. I kind of regret it, but I also feel that I probably wouldn't have enjoyed it too much right now. I don't feel like I have much to look forward to in terms of fun stuff like zoos right now, and it will depend on what happens whether that will come back anytime soon.

I really hope you are right, but personally I do not feel much optimism right now. Just yesterday the WHO said we should prepare for a very long pandemic only seen once in a century or more, the consequences of which could be felt for decades. That really doesn't sound good.

Right now I just really hope this resurgence can be contained in time to avoid a massive second wave, and that the measures taken will help achieve that. And that we can return to a more safe situation soon. With regards to the more distant future I just hope that there will be a solution to allow us to return to a more normal life and economy again as soon as possible.

With regards to near future plans at Antwerp: they are still finishing up the pig house and the surrounding area, and they are planning to have the zebras access both the giraffe and zebra paddocks, as well as adding ostriches and antelopes to the mix. I'm not entirely sure on what species they plan to house in this area anymore, as the previously published plans were changed in the case of the dik-diks and mongoose.

I don't think there are any other current projects other than perhaps some smaller scale exhibit renovations.

In the longer term there is of course the renovation of the jubilee complex, but that is progressing very slowly and will take several more years to be completed.
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    ZOO Antwerpen
    Uploaded By:
    KevinB
    Date:
    4 Jul 2020
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    2 MB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    1440px
    Height:
    1080px
    Aperture:
    f/8.0
    Make:
    OLYMPUS CORPORATION
    Model:
    E-M10 Mark III
    Date / Time:
    2020:06:28 09:46:59
    Exposure Time:
    1/160 sec
    ISO Speed Rating:
    ISO 200
    Focal Length:
    25 mm

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).