Galah x Cockatiel

Galah x Cockatiel
Danale, 12 May 2008
    • Danale
      Galah x Cockatiel
    • CGSwans
      Why, oh why, would you do that?
    • FBBird
      I don't think anyone did it deliberately. Its existence proves that the Cockatiel is a Cockatoo rather than an aberrant rosella or other parrakeet. Interesting that two birds so different in size could copulate successfully. I suggest that the Cockatiel was the male parent; can anyone confirm this?
    • zooboy28
      wow, I ddn't realise the two taxa were so closely related, they are quite different in size, and I never made the crest connection. Very interesting. Was this bred in private or at a zoo?
    • FBBird
      I think it was bred in a back garden aviary, but stand to be corrected. The 'giveaway' about the Cockatiel being a cockatoo is its nesting habits; the sexes share incubation, like the cockatoos and unlike most of the other parrots. Incidentally, if you look at the barred tail and wing markings of a Cockatiel, they are reminiscent of the same markings on some of the Black Cockatoos.
    • Chlidonias
      this is the article from which the above photo came: Talking Birds - Australia's Avian Newspaper

there's a youtube video of this bird here: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4Va82B64ow]YouTube - galah cockatiel cross[/ame]
      it actually resembles a cockatiel greatly when seen moving around, although it appears to be bigger (but quite a lot smaller than a galah)
    • Chlidonias
      the above post quoted for those that can't see the youtube link otherwise :)
    • FBBird
      Fascinating. I'm surprised the Galah was the father, in that he must have been very careful not to break the comparatively smaller eggs of the Cockatiel. Interesting about the DNA results with Black Cockatoos.
    • DavidBrown
      Thanks for the information and to the original poster of the picture. I did a molecular phylogeny of the cockatoos for my masters thesis and had no idea that "galahkatiels" were possible.
    • casarettoaleash
      What is the point of crossing these two species?
    There are no comments to display.
  • Category:
    Australia - Other
    Uploaded By:
    Danale
    Date:
    12 May 2008
    View Count:
    Comment Count:

EXIF Data

File Size:
    38 KB
    Mime Type:
    image/jpeg
    Width:
    314px
    Height:
    432px

Note: EXIF data is stored on valid file types when a photo is uploaded. The photo may have been manipulated since upload (rotated, flipped, cropped etc).